Abu 6500

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by matt, Dec 15, 2006.

1. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    i just bought a Abu Ambassadeur CS Pro Rocket 6500 and does any body got one out there i here that The Pro Rocket reel will cast farther than any Ambassadeur reel on the market it that true what make this reel so special ???

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I do not have one but I thought I had read about someone here buying one from another member. Maybe they will chime in and let you know how they like theirs. Like most here I trust the Abu name and believe that their products are "as advertised"

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    There are other 6500 series reels that will cast farther than the Rocket, but they are not sold in the United States. The 6500C3 is a good casting reel. The Rocket may cast farther, but casting distance is a factor of many different things, including line weight, rod and length of rod, weight of object cast, and on, and on. Then, there is the human factor. I don't doubt that the Rocket cast farther all things being equal, but do doubt that is a significant difference given the same set of circumstances. Suffice it to say, though, that its a good reel and should give you great service.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm lucky,my aunt is buying me an Abu 6500c3 from Bass Pro for christmas and maybe a new rod.It'll make my 3rd 6500 to go with 2 6000's. WOOHOO!!!

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I *think* the Rocket designation comes from the high speed retrieve, and not the casting capability.

Edit: Maybe not, I see a lot of new "Rocket" models without the high speed retrieve.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i dont have one but if its a garcia its great , i do have 2 4600 , a 6000 , 3 7000

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i dont have one, but is it the chrome rocket?those things should be put in a showcase or something.they look way to good to fish with.lol. just kiddin. but i hope u have good luck with it.

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have the 6500 CS Pro Rocket that is a great casting reel. It is one of Abu's better casting reel, but the 6500 Blue Yonder will outcast that reel.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I know it not a rocket becaues it 6-3-1 most of the Abu are 6-3-1 all of my 6000 and 6500 are

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My 6000 gear ratio has 5:3:1 so has more power.

11. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I don't know where this 6.3:1 gear ratio comes from, but the rocket has the 5.3:1 gear ratio. What it does have is the dual bearing end caps along with the ultracast spool design.

12. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I wouldn't trade any of my ABU's for anything. Never had a problem out of any of it.

Wheelmobile07

13. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    i got 12 abu i would never trade them i love them i was just wonder what people think about the The Pro Rocket reel

Attached Files:

14. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i have been using the basic 6500 c3 for as long as i can remeber. in my opion they have had held up awesome. and i have drag some good size fish in with them. so me personally i cant see spending all that extra money, on a reel thats pratically the same thing. i would save bucks and just buy the basic 6500c3

15. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just got a 6500C3 for my birthday with a 9' Eagle Claw Water Eagle. I can't wait to try it. I also have 2 6000's with 9' Eagle Claw Water Eagles. Not one bit of problems. You can't seem to go wrong with an Abu!

16. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know from my own personal experience that mid way through this year I switched all my river fishing rods from 10ft to 12ft rods (I bank fish mostly). Man does that make a big difference in your casting distance. And it does not take as much effort as the smaller rods. I throw a lot less bait off too!

17. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I don't know if one will "outcast" the other.... I do know that I have several 6501 C3's .... that is the left handed model... I perfer to cast with the right hand and then crank with the left as I set the hook with the right and power down with the right.... I have added to the price of the basic reel with the addition of a crank that does its job.... The stock crank is kind of "Tea Todler...ish" I mean to crank with a thumb and several finger tips....ulk.... I have a big knob to use.... the whole hand is now used to crank....This way when I have "left over" bait stuff on my left hand, I dont have to take time to wipe it on my jeans....
    I think that is why the thumb release mechanizm gets stuck in the down position at times.... (when I crank the reel won't engage...got to pull up on the release button).............. must be the bait crud on the reel...... I'll have to clean it one day.
    Check out my crank in the pic.

PS...Merry Xmas y'all

bayrunner ray

18. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    were did u get that gold power handle at thanks

19. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Two very good reels that is the CS with levelwind and CT without levelwind.

Attached Files:

20. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Matthew... got my handle/Crank at fishermans hardware in Santa Fe Springs CA. It is one is off of a Diawa Sealine fishing reel... $24 lots of money.... one ole boy in the store says there are some cheeper... This store is an authorized repair shop, and has lots of suff on the shelves...Good grip to it Huh? I have one on three of the A Garcias reels that I have.

bayrunner ray