Abu 6500 TCCF screws loose

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JPritch, Feb 8, 2009.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I have a black cat. I can spend half a day fishing with it and not even catch a fish, and those three silver knobs come loose all the time causing the side plate to be loose. Luckily I've caught it in time so I haven't lost any. But what's the deal with that and why are they coming loose and is this a common problem?

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Maybe it's not getting tight enough to begin with. as they come loosed some people will re-adjust the spool tension not knowing it has came loose. before you tighten them back down loosen the spool tension. This way you'll know it's fully seated. I tighten all mine by hand then bump them down a little more with a screwdriver or pliers. (being careful not to mark them)

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    All of my Abu's with thumb screws have loosened up, if you snug them down good with a screwdriver they will stay put, but you will need the screwdriver again next time you need to open them. I think, bottom line is that Abu chose thumb screws for an application where the screws need to be tighter than what most people can do with their thumbs.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Those thumb screws are "captured" and you will have to try real hard to lose them!!:wink: