Abu 6500 question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fisherman94580, Mar 4, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm looking at getting either a abu 6500 c3 or maybe an abu 7000 c3. I'll be fishing in small rivers, the ohio river and lakes, do you think the 6500 c3 will do fine with 30 pound test? Or should I go with 20 or 25 pound test? Thanks

2. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have 3 6501's (left hand reel) and I use 30 lb test (hybrid line) and they have held up with no problem. They hold plenty of hybrid line (smaller diameter). Personally, I think proper use of the drag is the key to protecting the reel.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The reel will handle the fish. Problem is if you do hook into a big one, with that heavy of line your not going to have much on the spool. If you can't turn him, he will spool you quite quickly. If your boating where you could follow the fish, you may want the 20 pound line. If your on the bank, you may get on your knees while fighting the fish and say a prayer. LOL

4. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I just spooled two 6500C3's with 150 yds of 65lb Power Pro. This works good for me. That is not to say that I might not be in for a new learning lesson from Mr.Catfish at any moment. The 7000 that I have is the least used rig on my boat. There is something hokey with this reel. It was $100 a couple of years ago at Wal Mart. I sometimes get the feeling that they buy the rejects from everyones production.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would stick with 20 lb test, and hope u can catch the big one.

6. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have 2 6500's. I use 20 lb. Stren hi vis gold on mine. Works great!

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I WOULD GO WITH THE 7000C3 IF YOU'RE GOING AFTER THE BIG ONE'S BUT A 6500C3 IS ALSO A REALLY GOOD REEL.

8. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I agree the 7000c3 would be the way to go for 30 lb. test line, that's what I have on my 2. Also have you thought about the PENN 320 GT2 they are about 10.00 or so cheaper and I've heard on here that they may be a little stouter reel for big cats and big line---Ambassadeur is a little easier to cast so Penn may not be you cup of tea, I have 2 of the Penn 320's now and I'm still getting used to them after getting so familiar with the way the Abu's cast.

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I would think the 7000 C3 would be the better choice of reel for 30# mono. The 6500 just doen't have enough capacity unless you go with braid. If you set the drag there is no reason why 20# should not work.

I know on occasions I have been spooled 75 yards on a big fish. Fortunately they will tire out.

10. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    this is my frist year using bait casters i got a 6500c3 black cat and a 7000ic3 put 20# on the 6500 and 30 on the 7000 been practicing casting for about a week only a couuuuple of back lashes i put 3oz lead on them to practice the 7000 on a triger rod 6500 on wuppering stick i now can cast about the same distance with both they are both real smooth

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have 19 6500's and 6000's mixed and run 30 lb. line on all of them with no problems. I use 5 of the 6500 c3 reels for tournaments and run 30 lb. line on them. I have two of the 7000 reels on 14 ft. fenwick rods and run 40 lb. on them with no problems. They all hold more line than I have ever needed to catch fish up to 43 lbs.

12. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    This is lobo's step son,, i have taught him how to river fish and now it looks like i need to teach him how to spell. lol.. i have a Abu 7000C3 w/ 30 # Cajun and a 6500 Black Cat w 20 # cajun.. nvr had a problem w either one of them except every now and then the paw will get worn out.. costs like $7 to fix though nothing too big.