Abu 6500 question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Blakemo, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im thinking about buying a good surf rod to cast abut 120 yards(Thats if I practice alot and get realy good a casting lol) There are 40pound Bluecatfish and was wondering it theres a risk of getting spooled with 245 yards of 50lb(30lb leader) power pro on a 120 yard cast? I wouldnt think so but was just wondering if a 7000 would be needed? This is assuming I can actualy practice enough and be able to cast that far:wink:

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    In flat water, I would think you'll be fine.

If you're fishing a tailrace, and they're running any water at all, you'll have your hands full.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    For the type of fishing you are wanting to do you need to step up to an abu 7000, it's made for that type of fishing.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah id go with the 7000 to be safe i think with the 6500 you would be pushing it a bit.

5. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nope, use the 6500. The 7000 will no cast quite as well.

6. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I used a heavier leader and horsed fish in would it be a more sutible setup? If not I might Try the Pflueger contender G30

7. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    If you put the abu garcia 7000 on the right rod. It throws as good if not better than a 6500. Just use something on the 7000 that is at least 9ft. I have a 7000 on a 10ft tica surf rod spooled with 20lb big game and I can throw some lead with that bad boy

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    The ABU MORRUM M7700CL on a 7' fenwick offshore seahawk will cast 200'+ on average.

If you put that reel on a 9-10' rod ,your set..Its all you need..

I know the 7000's will get out there..It took me awhile to get used to casting that 7' rod .It is a Mod -Action - MHvy -power blank..But it would cast well after I learned the tricks to do it, (extention of the line from the tip and a good lobbing swing a do it every time.):smile2:

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would doubt you will get spooled by a #40 blue using #50 power pro on a 6500. I will assume you are not fishing in strong current. I use #65 power pro on both my 6500 and 7000's and fish the river with 12' rods and have caught blues up 50lb on the 6500 and have not been spooled yet. I can cast my pro rockets pretty far, but I honestly have no idea how far. But if you get up to 120 yards, you may want to go with the 7000. Good luck.