Abu 6500 or 7000?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by rockbass, Jan 15, 2007.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going to be ordering some new stuff, and was wondering what soem opinions are on these reels.

I want to get the new 6500, but also thought maybe the 7000 instead. Can you guys give me some input on which one would be better. I don't know anything about the reels, other than they are good. I also know the 7000 woudl hold more line, but are there any other possible pros or cons to getting the bigger reeel?

Let me know what you guys think I should do

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would say it depends entirely upon how you fish. If your the type of fisherman that wants the 80lb test line that can turn the big fish, wrestle them out of trees/logs/boudlers, then you need the 7000. If your the type of fisherman that believes 20 lb test line will handle anything you are gonna hook, then you don't need that big of a winch to get the fish in. Smaller tackle, lighter line = dink fishing. Wire rope = fishing for the hogs. Which do you think your gonna catch?

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    dont mean to sound critical, but if u used stronger line then you wouldnt need as much on the spool. If i wanted to use 14lb test i would want alot to land a really big fish so i would go with the 7000. I use 20 or 30lb test on my 6500's and use them for blues and flatties. They are plenty of reel for most freshwater fish. The only time i wanted more reel was when i fished with it in Alaska on the kenai and hooked something large that spooled me out. We all assumed it was big king salmon because that what was running. But that is extremely hard fighting fish in currents that i dont imagine fishing for cats in. I would be comfortable to fish all over my state and catch wat ever i can with the 6500. I will try the 7000 after Tax Day but until then i am advising on what i know.
    A disadvantage to the 7000 is the weight and expense to fill it with line. Might not be a big expense to someone with experience but for a new BC fisherman it might get pricey.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    If your going after 10 to 20 pounders, then 6500, but....If your going after 30, 40 , 50 pound flats and blues, I would go with the 7000. It is alot more rugged and can take more of a pounding than a 6500.. Actually i would never use a 6500 again. I bought one about 5 years ago, and it only lasted a year, I didnt like it at all..Most people love them, i just had a bad experience with them and it turned me against them i guess you can say. I got 2 7000's and love them.

5. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    It Depends On What Size Fish Your Targeting, But If You Want A Reel For The Big Ones Get The 7000, If Your Specifically Targeting Small To Medium Size Fish Get The 6500 I Have And Like Both But If I Had To Choose Just One I'd Get The 7000.

6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio

Thanks guys!

I am thinking I will go with the 7000. I will catch a lot of 10-20 lb flatties, but I will also catch come in the 30s with good chances at fish 40 and up. I don't need 80 lb test, but will be using either 30 or 40 on the reel. If you can't handle a 40-60 lb flattie on 30-40 lb line, then you need to hone your skills for my area. Every once in a while you will get into some heavier cover, but the heavier line will just make it harder to break off when a good fish wraps you up.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Are u sure about the 7000? its a little for freshwater but u have people that use them, if I where u I would get the 6500 I own a Abu 6000 and I love mind.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The 7000 is the best all around choice. You can fish the smaller ones with it and gear up for larger fish if need be. They also are more rugged than the 6500. I do like the 6500 TC (Trophy Collection) reels, They come with the power handel like a 7000 and are high end 6500's. Studier and more bearings. If you don't need one "right now" save enough for one of the Big Game models. I have 4 and love them. Very sturdy reels.

9. WJ_jr

WJ_jr New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a abu 6000 and I been wanting one of the 7000

10. dredgeman

dredgeman New Member

State:
    n.c.
    i have 2 6600 big game reels. sweet

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The 6500 will catch most any sized catfish..I have caught flatheads of 50-lbs on them..The only drawback is they wont hold alot of heavy line.

12. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    to me... the 6500 is for channel cats of all sizes

the 7000 is a good all around choice for cats but may be a lil overkill for smaller cats under 5 lbs. heck, with 40 lb line or more you can pop a 10 lb cat into the boat like those bass fisherman do with those 2 lb bass.

then you have the 9000 and 10000...... these to me are the big boys strictly for pursuing large flatheads in cover

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    6500 is the best all around reel and will land any cat. The 7000 is bigger for sure but also heavier and not as easy to service as the 6500 in my experience. 7000 also costs much more. Doesn't cast as well as the 6500c3 but is a stronger and nicer looking reel that the 6500. If you just want to get the biggest bad dog it is the 7000 but a handfull of rods with 6500s is much easier to tote and you don't worry about getting em all messy:big_smile:

14. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am still somewhat undecided for sure. I want the line capacity of the 7000, but I like the lighter 6500. Most of the spots I go to catch larger flatties are a bit of a walk, so the lighter the better.........but I still am not sure:big_smile:

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rock, have you ever held a 7000 or casted one? I thought a 6500 was the shoot till I casted my first 7000. Find a guy with one and give it a test run before you buy that 6500. You'll not be dissappointed.