Abu 6500 Clicker question

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Salmonid, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Not sure if this is the right place for this but I have 2 of these reels ( 1 is the Catfish model and the other is a Carp Model) and enjoy them both but I noticed that on 1 of them,( The Carp Model) the "clicker" is much easier to pull off then the other. Is there a way to set the resistance on these?
    If I put more then about 1 oz of weight and in current, the resistance wont hold it and it continually leaks out line, even worse if you catch a leaf which we all know, never happens. :cursing:
    Any advise??
    Thanks in advance

Salmonid

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark just tighten down the spool tension by using the knob under the star drag...I dont use clickers anymore since I use circle hooks..But when I did that is how I would adjust the tension on the clicker-spool.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sometimes you will really have to crank it down if fishing a good current..Of course when you do this it shortens casting distance so you might have to back it off when casting then tighten it back down after you have casted out.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I guess tighten up your tensioner on the right side. I keep the reel engaged and loosen the drag and have the clicker on. When I get a bite I just put my thumb on the spool and tighten the drag a bit. I guess this works better if your using circle hooks, so the rod can load up so the hook takes hold. But if not just tighen up your tensioner, but remember to adjust it back when you go to cast next time. Hope this helps.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    some of those models have a piece of junk brass clicker in them. your right, the clickers are really easy to pull, try tightening your knob on the side a little. the older ambassadors had a mechanical thingy in them then sometime around 93 or 94 they started with the brass clicker. i think they went back to the mechanical thingy in a few models. i bought 2 new abu's about 4 yrs back for boat fishing and they have the good clickers in them. you can probably have chris at fishermans hdq. get the good ones for you if they dont have some already. i bought some of the brass ones from him to convert a couple 5000's to a clicker for about 4 bucks but i dont know how much the good ones are.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys, Ill just have to play around with it and see if I can get it tightened down.

Hopefully if I get out this Sat with Mellon we can get it fixed. 2 Mellonheads ought to be better then 1 :rolleyes:

Rain Rain, go away......Hard to get out when the rivers are brown and up a few feet !

Salmonid