abu 6500 clicker adjustment

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by baitnwait, Sep 20, 2008.

1. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've heard some complaints of some abu's bait clickers not being loud enough and thought I would share this with who ever would be interested. I had a couple of 6500C3s that I like and have not had any problems with them and recently bought a third used one that had that problem. These have the mechanical clickers and this one was barely audible. I noticed when I put a little pressure down on the bait clicker switch while it was engaged that it got louder. I removed the clicker assembly and took a couple of pair of needlenose pliers and SLIGHTLY opened the 90 degree bend in the pin on the clicker assembly that engages with the gear on the spool. After reassembling the reel and testing it I found that it now is as loud as my other reels. Best part is the repair didn't cost anything!

2. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Thats Awesome:smile2: When you say mechanical are you talking about the clicker mechanism having springs inside the reel? I just replaced my old abu's and their clickers are nothing more than a big thin metal peice. The new 6500tccf's have a much more sophistacted clicker mechanism inside with two springs. One of the reels is audible, but not as loud as the others. I was thinking about taking a dremel to cut the outside plate to put the old clicker housing from my old reels in there. Do you turn the pin that the springs are connected to? Before I go back in there I want to make sure I have the same clicker as you do.

3. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Don you are correct. Instead of the metal spring these have an assembly with a pin connected by a spring on each side. The pin has a 90 degree bend at the end that engages with the plastic gear on the side of the spool when the clicker switch is engaged. The problem is that for some reason some do not make full contact with that gear. I found that by slightly bending that 90 degree bend open it will make better contact and produce a louder sound. Just be careful not to over do it. You don't want that to break off and get jammed in those gears when making a cast. It tends to make a nasty mess.:eek:oooh:

4. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Thanks Man:smile2::smile2::smile2: