Abu 6500 Cl3 fishing reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TNVOLCAT, May 8, 2006.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought an Abu 6500 cl3 reel on clearance at Walmart on Sat. It was marked down from $70 to $40 so I decided to buy one. I am wondering what the difference is between a 6500 c3 and the 6500 cl3 that I bought. The only visible difference I found was the spool and the star drag were gold anodized. All the other specs from what I can tell are the same. The cl3 that I bought is even silver just like the 6500 c3. I'm a Penn and Quantum guy and this is my first Abu, so all you Abu guys help me out please. Any info appreciated and thanks in advance!

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It might be last years model. Not that anything is wrong with that. Sounds like you got a heck of a deal
    way to go Mate
    thanks
    Larry

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    From what I was told is the CL3 is just the version that is sold by walmart there is no difference between the two.

4. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info brothers, that's what I wanted to hear.

5. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I don't think you will be disappointed with the ABU. I have 23 and love them all.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got 2 of the abu 6500 cl3's and i love them.you got a heck of a deal on it too,i bought my 2nd one last year there for $70.good luck and enjoy it!!!

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Other than the limited line capacity and minimal clicker, the only major problem I have with my 6500 is the wimpy drag system. I found that when I'm anchored in swift water I can't crank the drag down enough to pull in a 10# blue. There's an aftermarket drag system for the 6500 that's supposed to take care of that problem, and there's a thread on this board about how to do it.

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    there is no difference in these two reels what so ever the cl3 is a real purchased directly from abu. directly for walmart stores only. all componets bearing gears. are all same you can take a c3 and a cl3 apart put all parts in a bag shake it up and put them both back together..

9. Hook

Hook New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    get one more. I had a reel finally crap out this morning so will replace it with another 6500. Sounds like a good price.

10. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    FYI, Abu put a new, carbon drag in the C3 and C4 for 2006. Mine hasn't been tested (much) yet, but I'm looking forward to it getting some use.

11. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    ryan keep us on top of the carbon drag and what u think of it