Abu 6500 cl big game review

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flathunter, Sep 15, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got an abu 6500 cl big game back in the spring, I was gonna not use it for a few years just keep it in the box.

But I decide to use it this weekend, and wow was I impressed..This is by far the smotthest reel I have ever casted, and probably the farthest.

It has the dual casting contorls just like a rocket, so you got to set them both just right to get the best distance, you dont want the spool hanging to one side but right in the middle.

The frist time I casted this reel I coul not even feel or hear the line coming out it was that smooth.

I highly reccomend this reel for any one wanting a new baitcaster.

Prices can run from 109 bucks to 129 bucks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    does the spool hold as much or more line as the 7000's??

i like my 6500's but they aren't the big game...i wish the spool held more line when fishing in current...

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no they are the 6500 size spools..I use 12 foot rods, and make 90 yd cast and still have plenty of 25-lb test mono on my reel to tame a hard charging flathead, never been cclose to being spooled. and I fish in river current, just make sure you fill the spoll completly..If I have a break off and lose line, I change line right on the bank.

I dont like the 7000 series of reels cause I cant get the casting distance I need,

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice reels, I also pefer 6000 and 6500C3 to the 7000's.

5. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Looks real nice. I love the way my 6500c3 casts, and yours can only be better, so I think it will keep you happy. It really is nice to have all that distance from the bank. I hope you catch a new PB or two with it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  6. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yes I have to absolutely agree!! I love this reel and prior to me owning this one I've only used 7000's.. its much lighter, smoother and outcasts any of my modded 7000's and I havent done anything to the reel except spool it up.:smile2:

7. rainman442000

rainman442000 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have 2 cl big game reels i bought several years ago use them ever week they have had a lot of fish on both up to 45 lbs they still work as good as when they came out of the box new

8. festus

festus New Member

I read several years ago the 6500 held the world record for casting distance. However, I don't remember the footage, but it was several hundred yards.

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i could easily see the 6500 holding the world casting record. out of all of my rods my 6500 can outthrow my 7000 and 10000 without me even trying to outthrow them

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I'm not exactly positive, but I think I recently heard that the world record for a cast was around 325yds. Hardly a river anywhere would be able stop you from hitting a spot you like...no matter what side it was on.:big_smile:

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jack thanks for sharing your review of this BG reel. I have never owned this one.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea except for that when they are record casting they are using like 6# test with a few yrds of larger #line on top to prevent break off.

13. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Member

State:
    Guthrie Ok
    I have 2 of the 6500cl big game reels. These are the best reels i have owned. I plan on buying more. I never blacklash with these reels but I do every now and then with my 6500c3 reels.

14. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I have 3 of them and u are right they are the smoothest reels i owe i still have 1 in the box :wink: