Abu 6500 Catfish Pro Rocket

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mikemck, Jan 28, 2009.

1. mikemck

mikemck New Member

State:
    Texas
    The left side adjustment knob on this reel has a numbered ring under the knob, but I can't see what good it is, because there is not any corresponding reference mark on the knob itself.

Am I missing something here?

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    There is a little triangle / pie slice smooth area on the otherwise knurled flat surface of the knob. It's a little hard to see, but it's there.. at least it's there on mine.

3. mikemck

mikemck New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ah, so there is. I completely missed it.

Thank you, makes sense now.

4. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    I'd put a drop of red fingernail polish on that little spot. That way you can easily see where the knob is pointing. :cool2:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's a pretty good idea, it really is hard to see unless the light is just right.

6. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    How do you like this reel? Thinking about getting one or another Green Cat 6500 TCCF. IF you have both which do you prefer? Thanks for your comments.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Josh

I've got the Catfish Pro, and the original 6500TCCF, which if they made it today, they would call the red cat.

Main differences.. The Catfish Pro has steel side plates, making it feel sturdier and noticeably heavier, 15oz vs 12oz, compared to the Green Cat with aluminum side plates. The clicker on the Catfish Pro is activated by a metal button on the side vs a plastic slider on the curve of the spool on the Green Cat. The button clicker isn't any louder, but I have heard of those plastic sliders getting broken from the reel being dropped. The Catfish Pro has dual cast control knobs for adjusting spool tension, the Green Cat has a single knob that is under the handle, which can be hard to get to.

I like the Catfish Pro, but either reel will get the job done.

8. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I appreciate your input, i'm thinking about gettin one myself.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    One other thing I'll add, Abu has a rebate going through September or so that will give you back $20 on the Catfish Pro or $15 on the Green Cat. These rebates are actually for any Abu reel over $109 and $89 respectively, not just the catfish models.

10. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Thanks Gary. That was the advice I was looking for. :0a31:

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Gary, One question do you think a reel I bought on the 29th of Dec 2008. Would be able to get a rebate because I just got it today and it was back ordered??

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Shelby,

The rebate started on Jan 1, I think it's going to come down to the date on the receipt. If the retailer put Dec 29 on the receipt and didn't send you the reel until Feb I would talk to them about it. If it's who I think it was (Cabelas) you could return the reel and then buy it again with the proceeds... seems like they could come up with a solution that would save you and them all of that hassle.

13. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have to agree with Gary abou the reels. I have the Black cat and I also have the New Pro Cat. The Pro does feel much better in the hands to me than the TC line. I would also have to say that I think the rocket is better at casting distance wise. That might just come down to the dual controls though.

14. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I just ordered the pro cat yesterday from cc, should be here next week, I can't wait.