ABU 6500 C3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Blacky, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Just picked one up at Dick's for $80. It doesn't have a power handle on it. Anyone have one? What's your though on it?

How does it cast?

Can it handle big flats?

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Tan I have a 6500C3 & 6501C3 they both are pretty decent casters. I don't plan on using them this year though.
    I'll be sticking to my Big Game reels this year. :wink:

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I landed a couple of small flats with them last year.

4. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have 2 of them they are great for flatties. I dont use them on blues. I only have power handles on my 7000 series reels.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    They're great reels and will handle any size fish most fishermen catch. The trick is to use the rod to fight the fish and take alot of the strain off of the reel. Doing it this way, the rod does the fighting and the reel just holds the line for you. So, as long as you've got a good rod, line, and strong drags, then you're fine. The 6500 is a great all around reel and will cast a country mile. If you're using over 25lb test line and a long rod, you'll almost throw all the line off of it. If you want a power handle, you can get one for 15 to 20 bucks to add to it. I've got them on several of mine, but not for cranking in the big fish. I like the bigger knob to grab on to in the dark, it's easier to find than the small pads.

6. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i have two,they cast great and you can purchase a power handle for them if you prefer it.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep, like these fellas said. there great reels. i got lucky. i got two on clearence at wal mart about 3 years ago. 6500cl3 for $40.00 each and a 5500cl3 for $35.00. heres a little info for ya if ya ever got to clean it.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3049

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They work great, the 40-lber in my avitar came on a 6500.

9. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I think its one of the best all round reels there is. I have been using them for over 10 years now. Most cat fisherman who use baitcasters have or have had a 6500 C3. The power handle is a matter of choice on the 6500. I know some of the guys I fish with put them on there reels. They say they don't bend as easy as the handles they come with.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Blacky, be sure to order a power handel for a ( TC ) Trophy Collection 6500 reel. They are not the same as the handel on a 7000. The 7000 handels have a tad larger diameter hole than the 6500 power handel. It will slip back and forth under the nut if you get the wrong one. Just call the 800 number and ask for the part number for a tc handel, then you can order the correct part.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you order a power handle, just make sure it's for the 4000 thru 6500 series reels. They're all the same handle shaft diameter. Several companies have them or you can find them on ebay. They'll say what size reel they're for. "Timco" is one of the sellers on ebay that has a good selection of power handles. There are several models for the 6500 size reels, and not that many for the 7000 size.