Abu 6500 C3 help needed

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by thegavel, Aug 2, 2008.

1. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Ok.... so I took my reel apart and cleaned it... Now I need HELP!!!

I used the article in the Library about cleaning them to take it apart, clean, oil, and reassemble...

Now... Well now I can't get it to reel. It will engage the release, but not spin the spool. Thus being of no use to me right now.

I would just take it to the local shop, but in all honesty can't afford the extra expense...:embarassed:

any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Chris.....will the handle turn backward, but won't reel forward?

Sounds like you've got the anti-reverse pawl turned around backwards on it.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    It does turn the right direction, I just have to use all of my strength to do it... I don't want to break it... grandpa gave it to me :sad2:

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Somehow or another you've got the spacer shims in the wrong order around the main spool drive. All that works off the handle and the drag system. Back the star drag off, to where it's barely engaged, and see if that makes it turn any easier. If that's the case, then you'll have to tear it back apart and figure out which space shim goes underneath the drive gear........you may have that one on TOP of the drive gear mixed in with the drag spacer/spring washers.

Do you have a parts list/breakdown for a 6500? I bet somebody on here does.

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    haha wish they came with a detailed reconstruction guide!!!

I will take it apart a little later and look at all of those washers... seems like everytime I take it a part I get a little closer to getting it to work, before the spool wouldn't spin at all... so I am atleast getting closer!

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    HAHA I didn't see your edit until after I posted... No I do not, but I think it would be handy and solve all of my problems

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    you may have something in a bind as well. i have put mine back togather before and they were hard to turn. something a bit misalligned. take just the side plates back off. you dont need to tear into the guts. just take sides off and remove spool. re assemble and MAKE SURE that evweything slips togather easily and all everything fits tight BEFORE the screws are put back in. if theres a gap in the plate and the rods that go between them then somethings misaligned. turn crank to see if they fall togather. if somethings no aligned well and screws are tightened it will bind reel.

try thia and let us know.:wink:

look here

http://www.spottydogtackle.co.uk/Schematics/ABU/6500CTsportsMag.gif

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Did you get it fixed yet?

9. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Not yet, I won't get to the reel again until atleast tomorrow, but probably monday night for sure! Man I can't wait to get this up and running again!

Thanks for all of the help and advice... I really do appreciate it!!!

10. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio, Mr. G.....You have not indicated which 65 you have: older fixed axle type, or the ultracast style. If you did indicate, I missed it.

That said, I am assuming you have the ultracast style with the little white "flyweights" on the clutch washer on the crank side.

I suspect, that these little weights were not pushed inboard on the washer far enough, and are now squished, and kinda wrecked. They operate inside that "hoop" on the bottom of the brake plate.

Open the reel once more, by loosening the 3 thumbscrews, and check the condition of these bits.

If this is it, they are about 85 cents each. You will also need to re-bend the arms on the clutch washer, as they will be bent down.

New reels come with spares, and you may be able to "cabbage" some from your local sports store.... many stores will have combo packages on the floor, and in the heat of battle, they will sell the floor model, and leave the box the reel came with, in the back, and throw them out at inventory time. In these boxes will be spare weights, a little oil, and the schematic.

Hope this helps, and this was it. It usually is, if the rest of the reel is assembled OK. I refuse to tell you how many time *I* did this at the start..... *laugh* suffice to say: a few...........Best, KD

Edit: if the reel is the older fixed axle style, they have similar flyweights, and can cause the same issue.
    Being an older setup, they will not be available for free... they are about a dollar each. "Cabbage" some, from someone who has an older 7000 red, or C reel... the small ones will fit the 45/55/65/46/56/66 older reels. kd

11. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Curious to learn if your reel's reeling. There was one other assembly error possible if the reel was an ultracast.

And that would be the placement of the position holder, in relation to the the pinion yoke. The position holder (the bit with the two stainless steel fingers) needs to go *on top* of the pinion yoke, not underneath it.
    Now and then, rodsters will go wrong.

This is where the schematic is your friend.
    I will not reveal how many times I did _this_ furbar....until I figured it out, that I ought to have a copy of the schematic with me, and blown up to full page size, as I go !!
    That School of Hard Knocks had a star in me I'll tell ya..... :smile2:

12. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Google Mikes Reel Repair. He has schematics for most reals on his website. On the main page look in the lower left hand side and you will see schematics. Click on it and you are on your way to having the schematics you need.

13. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Finally got in to working on the reel, It has been a long week. I am taking it apart as I type this!

Thanks for all of the great advice, I am sure I will get it up and running!

I don't know what type of 6500's I have, I have 3 of them and they are all different. How do I tell the type?

I will let you know how this goes!

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    in on here. if ya have a Q ask. does it have any stickers that wrap around the side plates. they usually tell the model?

15. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa

PM Sent :confused2:

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    replied. take your time. dont force nothing. that may bend something if it hasnt already.:wink:

17. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    That is what I am afraid of.... GRRRRRRR:angry:

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    careful or you end up smashing it like i do things at times,lol. somethings just not lining up.:wink: sent another p/m. try it without the worm gear in and see if it winds tight. we can eliminate things.

19. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    BINGO!!!

Ken you are 100% correct the little plastic fly weights were pretty beat up. I took them off the "hoop" and reassembled. She works like a charm. I am going to try and salvage them. They aren't completly demolished yet, might buy some time until the new ones get here!

Jeremy - thanks for all of your PM's and help it is greatly appreciated, had you not been there tonight This reel would have been blown up 12 gauge style!!!

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    it was the flyweights. lil plastic deals on the spool.

the white things on the top of spool? on the silver ring on bottom right?