Abu 6500 black cat

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fisherman94580, Mar 28, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Do you fellas think the 6500 black cat, spooled with 20 lb. big game, will do fine in rivers and some big lakes? I'm targeting cats up to 50 lb. at the very max. Also what rod do you think would fit the reel best? Thanks

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think it would be great, but then I fish lighter than most people.

If you are not going to have to keep them out of a lot of snags, then it should be good. If you are goping to be fighting big fish close to cover, then you might need to go a bit heavier.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think that will do the job.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It will do great. I'm using 6500and 6600 with 20lb big game on 10ft meat hunter rods. I havn't had anything tore up yet but havn't had a monster yet either, nothing over 40lbs. I've seen lots of them over 50 and 60 with same outfits.

5. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I just got one yesterday. The reel is sweet! It's really not much different than any other 6500 but alot prettier.

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    this reel is gonna be my reel of choice next time i buy one....

it will be paired up with a ugly stick TIGER

with 50lb power pro

WHAT do yal think of this??

i do like the way them reels look

Jeff

7. snakeman455

snakeman455 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think that 6500 looks like a sweet reel, I'm going with the 7000 C3i though, probably a little overkill, but I can't help it....

8. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I picked one up a while ago, spooled it with 65lb HiVis PP and matched it with a MH Surge Rod.

She's Purty!:cool2:

9. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think it will work fine but I'm a fan of light line fishing more of a challenge

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I think it will work fine.

11. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Awsome reel. I spooled mine up with suffix 50lb and the thing cast for miles. I cast mine 60 yards with 3/4 oz. weight and 7 foot med.hvy rod. Have fished along time and have never had a reel cast as far,... except the 6500 pro rocket I bought the same day.lol These are the first ABUs I have ever owned. I love'em, Thanks to the threads on here that made me see the light. My little 4 yr old catfisher wants to say hi........:0a17: :0a20: :006:

12. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    I just bought an ABU 6500 Black Max. Is this reel the same as the ABU 6500 Black Cat?:confused2:

13. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I ordered one from Catfish Connection a few weeks ago...liked it so much I ordered another one a week later. I spooled one with Spiderwire 80 lb. test and the other with 65 lb. PowerPro, and I believe I could cast a split shot at least 50 yards with them. They sure are better than my Tidewaters.

14. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I ordered mine a while back and I think I need another. I spooled it with 65# powerpro and I love it. I havent caught a cat on it yet so that will be the real test but as of now I couldnt be happier with it.

15. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    Found my answer. The Black Cat has a Bigger Handle and a catfish emblem which the Black Max does not.....other than the price difference it appears to be about the same. I was looking around locally here in the San Antonio Area for a Black Cat that I heard about here on the board and ran across the ABU Black Max 6500 that really caught my eye. Love that reel.........s m o o th.:big_smile:

Rick