Abu 6500 big game vs abu 6500 pro rocket

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Aug 2, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok i own a 6500 pro rocket and love it , im wanting to buy anather reel i dont see any differace between the two both are 95 dollers and both have the same specs what is the best out of the two

2. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Brass side plates painted black and a power handle.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The CS PRO Rocket has gold accents and "rocket bearings" were the Big Game is chrome and flat black with normal bearings. All the other parts are the same between the two.

4. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I just happen to own both of the reels you mention. I'm also on vacation with my family at my wifes aunt's home on Richland/Chambers resevoir in Texas. Space was cramped with luggage and such, but I did manage to bring both reels and a no name 10' rod. After I read your post, I decided to have a casting contest between the two reels. Both reels are full of Power Pro 50lb.. The bearings have been cleaned and reoiled with yellow rocket fuel. Tiny amount of play from side to side on the spool. I was casting with a 3oz. egg sinker. I made each cast with the sinker even with the guide closest to the reel, swing back, hammer forward.
    I tried the Pro Rocket first. I was amazed how far that reel will throw! The sinker just seemed to go and go and go. Every time. No hint of a back lash. I was amazed.
    Next, I removed the Pro Rocket, mounted the CL Big Game, tied on the same 3oz. sinker and started casting. If I was amazed with the Pro Rocket, then I don't know how to describe the CL Big Game! It sailed! I don't have a way to measure the distances since I'm throwing into the water, But the CL went noticeably further than the Pro Rocket, by maybe 30 or 40 feet. It had a longer hang time and it took longer to reel it back in. Then I removed 1 brake block and it seemed to throw even further. Never a hint of a back lash. Just apply thumb when it hits the water.
    They are both awesome casting reels. As you stated, they are both very similar. As far as appearances, do you like black and gold or black and chrome? The CL Big Game comes with a power handle, and even though there was some negative discussion here about power handles recently, I happen to like them very much.
    I f I was going to buy another reel, it would probably be the CL Big Game, but I wouldn't turn down the Pro Rocket either. Both reels are tough and throw farther than I ever thought I could throw.
    Hope this helps. Now I'm off to catch some fish or drink some beer, which ever happens first. Ahh, vacation. Doug

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You don't get much more of a comprehensive test than that! Great job Doug. Your little test will help out alot of guys with making choices.

6. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Okay, here's what happened after I made my first post on this subject. I grabbed a beer, got a rod and caught a medium sized bluegill. I put the bluegill on the 10' rod with the CL Big Game, reared back and tried to throw it across the lake. It went about 40 yards before the bluegill turned into a big ole air brake. Suddenly the reel is spinning faster than the lead is moving-but just for a second. Giant back lash bird nest blowup! The bluegill continued to fly to the desired location, but not the hook, line or sinker. Sooo, I picked out the back lash, put the other brake back in, and gave it about a half a turn of spool tension. I caught another bluegill, loaded him up and launched him out about 3/4 as far as I had been throwing with just the sinker, but without a back lash.
    I guess the moral of the story is that slab sided baitfish don't fly nearly as well as streamlined sinkers, so act accordingly. Doug

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Doug, I thought I was the only one that pulled stunts like that, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's refreshing to know that I'm not the only one that doesn't always think of all the small details. Hope ya caught a big un after all the fuss!

8. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    Good input doug. I have been contemplating at 6500 biggame as well. Thanks a lot!

9. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    where can i buy a big game reel at . c.c is out of stock.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Both are good reels.