Abu 6001CA questions

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Dust, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    I noticed a thread back in 2013 that this reel didn't have Instant Anti-Reverse, and shows the same capacity as the 6500. Can IAR be installed in it? I just bought one from EBay, and it needs a drag knob replaced. I was going to do it myself, but noticed the lack of an IAR, and wanted to know if it could be added.

Brackish*Water likes this.
  2. twaskom

twaskom Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Not sure on that Jason. The IAR is ap roller bearing that is pressed in. I believe it calls for a special tool but that may be something that you could get the job done without. But I am not sure the case is exactly the same. Probably so but I don’t know.

now it the original anti reverse is working right, the reel still works. Just not the instant anti reverse we have gotten used to.

3. hurt locker

hurt locker Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania/Ohio
    Name:
    Mike
    Yes, it can be done. I made up a press using a 1/4 drive socket and a 1/4 inch bolt and some washers and nut and pressed the IAR out of a C4 that I dropped on the concrete. Used the same press, just with some of the parts rearranged to press it back in from the inside . Worked good, but you must be sure that you have the correct length driveshaft. One perk is that you end up with both the anti reverse dog and the IAR bearing if you do it properly.
    The one I made up was a Tournament Grade 6001.
    It can be done just make sure you have all of the correct parts.

SteveMcK and Brackish*Water like this.
  4. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    I can turn the reel upside and sometimes spin it with my right hand without an issue. It also has 2 of the 5 star wheels fingers missing. It also spins a lot less freely than the 6501c4 I got last week. I’ll compare it to the c3 coming Friday, but it may be going to see someone for some work.

5. hurt locker

State:
    Pennsylvania/Ohio
    Name:
    Mike
    It needs to be disassembled and any broken parts replaced. A broken star means to me that it has either been dropped or over stressed somehow. I recommend having it repaired at a shop.

6. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    I am searching for some in KY, by might ship to Pipeline if I can't get a hold of the closer contacts.

7. jumpmaster

jumpmaster Well-Known Member

State:
    ohio
    Name:
    david
    Mike Im glad you answered first, I was getting ready to tell him it couldnt be done. Now that i know that, I will be doing it myself, thanks.

8. hurt locker

State:
    Pennsylvania/Ohio
    Name:
    Mike
    You have to make sure that the reels are compatible. The donor reel was a 6501C4. I used all of the parts from it, spool, bearings, handle assembly and driveshaft gears, levelwind parts. The reel that I pressed the IAR bearing into was a Tournament Grade 6001 because it had the setplate with the dog pin already in place.
    I used 2 sockets, a smaller diameter to push the bearing through from the outside and a larger one to back it up. Just 2 washers and a nut to press it back in from the inside. think t had to grind the inside washer to fit. just press it in until the bearing is flush with the inside edge.

9. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    I talked to Pipeline Tackle, and was told that it could be done to newer reels with a larger bearing or something. I don't think I've got it, so I don't think it will be converted. It's dirty and needs some parts, so I will let them take a look at it to see if it is worth doing something with. I have a 6501c3 in the mail, so it might be going to them as well depending on it's condition.

10. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    6001CA and 6501C3 are both at Pipeline. We'll see how much poorer I am. They have foley spoons in stock, and I wanted to try some, so I'll have an extra $20 to tack on to whatever is needed for the reels.

Carbon washers, Abec7 washers, and the 6001CA needs a new star wheel..

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  11. jumpmaster

jumpmaster Well-Known Member

State:
    ohio
    Name:
    david
    sounds like a good plan to me, you should get your monies worth out of them. Good luck.

Nuclear Bill likes this.
  12. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    I just picked up a 5001CA, and it seems there is one spool bearing, and one spool bushing. When the 6001CA gets back I'm going to check it, and pick up the bearing replacements and the drag washer fro the 5001CA hopefully from the same place.

13. 234rick

234rick Active Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    I have several ambassadeurs from 1970 to 2015. So i'm guessing some have IAR & some don't. I've heard about IAR's for years but I notice no difference in any of my reels. what is Instant anti-reverse & what does it do ? And why is it better than the older reels?

14. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Rick, the older Anti-Reverse was nothing more that a dawg that straddled a gear underneath the drag disk assembly, to prevent it from turning backwards. With that system, you could crank the handle and then stip. Then the handle could move slightly backwards before the dawg would catch the gear stopping reverse trace.

The newer IAR Instant anti reverse system is a roller bearing setup that is press fitted in the (crank side) side cap, right under the crank handle. With the roller bearing system when you stop cranking the handle there is no reverse travel at all. Thus the instant anti reverse.

Does that answer your question?

tight lines.

15. 234rick

234rick Active Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    Yes thanks, but why is the handle could move slightly backwards a bad thing ? Slightly being the main word here.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2020
  16. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Notice I moved your question above outside the (QUOTE) area of my comment. That is the proper way.

Now the new system is just more efficient and that is all. Why did the produce an automatic transmission the you could just manually shift a car. Just progress.

Now I also have to bring up your avatar.

AVATARS: The Avatar picture option was created to allow members to visually identify who they are talking to and create an atmosphere of friendship by sharing your personal image, "Your face". This option does create a more favorable environment for all and is strictly voluntary to participate in. NO pictures of your children, vehicles, your cat, your dog, or cartoons. The main element must visually show your face.

Does your avatar comply with this requirement?

Tom

17. 234rick

234rick Active Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    No it does not Sorry, I fixed it.

18. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Thanks Rick. The default avatar is fine. Thanks for making the correction.

19. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    I picked up a 5001CA two weeks ago, and might be buying another 6001CA tomorrow.