ABU 6000's

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bootshowl, Apr 23, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    New out of the box, are they good to go, or is there some pre-cleaning oiling needs doing? Also was wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to pick a model reel, then just change rod and line size for the type fishing you are doing? Say choose the 6000 as the model reel I'm gonna use then as I collect them, set em up on different rods, for boat, bank, etc. My target fish are eaters, but want something heavy enough not to let me down on the rare chance I hook something worth bragging about. Would the 6000 be a good compromise, kinda middle of the pack?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya I think the Abu 6000 a good choice.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You made a perfect choice! I also have designated rods for types of fishing I do. 8ft rods from the boat, 10 and 13ft rods for bank fishing(depends on how far I have to cast) and 14ft rods I use when fishing at the powerhouse were I really need distance.

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I love my 6000 :big_smile:

5. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I bought one about two years ago from wally world. Still works fine as if i just bought it. Its beat up a bit from the terrain I fish but i've taken good care of it and it still feels new and works great. I got on a combo for about 50 bucks. The rod was junk it broke on a fish a week later. I put the reel on a nice pole I bought and it's still going strong. I see them now for more than I paid for the combo.

6. Jnorman

Jnorman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The 6000's are awesome reels!

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have to agree with the others. The 6000, to me, is a great all purpose reel. I have a few and have caught everything from bream, crappie, black bass, white bass, hybrids, stripers and of course catfish. I never did anything to mine before use but, have torn them down every year for a good cleaning and oil. If I remeber correctly I have caught catfish and striper with mine up to about 15-20 pounds without much trouble.

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    They are good reels the 6000's have bushings not bearings which is ok i have penns from the sixties that have bushings and still going strong the bushings make it more tolerant of dirt and sand and so on , by no means am i suggesting neglegance but if it should happen all is not lost the bushings will handle the mishap better than bearings . It should still be ceaned asap and this process is also easier due to the bushings . And as far as heavy fish no worries it will get er done .

Go fishing and enjoy !!!

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I really like my 6000. Really good reel.

10. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have not found an Ambassadeur baitcasting reel so far that was not a good one. They are great reels that will get the job done and give you years of use.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Both my 6000's are over 7 years old. General cleaning,lubing and replacement of the paw(l) they are still as good as new! Excellent choice IMO. I do like the 6500c3's a little bit better though. :smile2:

12. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Love them really good choice

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you like the 6500 better, just replace the bushings with bearings, and you've got a 6500. Get the ceramic ones though, they're much smoother than the stainless steel and will last longer.

14. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I own both 6000 and 65oo,and I like the 6000 better for cattin.Seems to me a better casting reel.Now I got the big 7000 Abu,but hadn't tried it out yet.:lol: