Abu 6000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Philiagorillia, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey guys, i got a new abu 6000 baitcast reel for my b-day, i was wondering do i have to put 14lb line on it like it says or can i bump it down to 12? Either way i can get me a spool of 14lb big game or cajun.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    12 should run on it fine i would think depending on what your fishing for.I run 12 lb. P-Line on the baitcasters i bass fish with and it's fine.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have 20# on mine, but it should handle 25# just as nicely. If you are catfishin' with it I would not go less than 20#. Just MHO. Nice reel BTW!
    BB in SC

4. Philiagorillia

State:
    Missouri
    Im not going after giant cats, just good eating size 10lbs or under by bank fishing, but i wanna be safe if a lunker decides to grab the bait...

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL, once again I missed the point. You are going down, not up in test size. Just odd to see that angle here as most folks here fish for the hogs and like to have a good stout line. :) Sure you can go down to 12# if you choose.
    BB in SC

6. Philiagorillia

State:
    Missouri
    Ok cool, im still fairly new to baitcasters so i wanted to be sure it wont cause it to hang up and all that jazz. I figured the trilene big game or the Cajun line would be good stuff for channels of all sizes....

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Phil, just remember to use the right knots if you go down in line size. Some knots weeken your line by 50%.:wink:

8. Philiagorillia

State:
    Missouri
    Im pretty consistant with my knots, have any suggestions though?

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I have a ABU 6000 with 30# Cajin Red on it. Don't see why you can't go down question is why would you want too? Just sure you keep the drag right,and use heavy enough weight so it won't backash or as we all call it birdnests.After you get used to it your gonna love it.

10. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Phil, Snell, clinch, and the palomar knots are the ones I use a lot.:big_smile:

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use 20 lb test line on my.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. you can go down to 6-8 if ya want. but those 6000's will hold a mile of 15-20. better safe then sorry. i use the simple old chinch knot. can tie it in a cave with a blind fold and eyes closed. not the improved either. i very seldom to never break line. ive wrapped it around gear and still had to cut it because it wont break.

13. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't think 12lb. will be bad at all. I casted one this week with 12lb. on it, belongs to a friend. I was wondering if abu is gonna keep making these or replace them with the 6600. Seems we all agree this is one fine reel. I want to buy one now if thier gonna quit making them because I like this reel better than the 6600.

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know you're just targeting eater size cats. I'd still use at least 20lb test line though. I've got some rods set up for the same thing and use 20lb. If you're gonna be fishing from the bank, you're gonna want to sling it way out there sometimes or deal with heavy current. That means you'll use heavier weight. The lighter line like 12 to 14lb test snaps easier with a weight over 2 oz. Also, if you get hung up, it's easier to get your rig back with the heavier line than the lighter line.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    these have been around a while. there kind of like the wal-mart easier on the wallet reels that are still great quality. i havent heard of them quit making them? i cant be sure though. every wally here still carries them.

16. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    It should handle 20-30# line just fine.

17. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I like the palomar knot the best.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 50# power pro on mine and it does fine. just make sure you have the drag set right. i prefer braid, especially on a baitcaster, but everyone has their preferences! if you went with at least 20# line, you'd still be able to hang eater size fish, and also be prepared for a hawg when they get on your line.