Abu 6000 vs 6500C3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CJ21, Sep 2, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering which is the better reel the 6000 or 6500? I own a 6000 but I thinking I may give the 6500 a try.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I've have 2 6501C3 reels(lefthand models). They are my favorite baitcasters.:big_smile_2: Add a 6500 to your arsenal. They dont disapoint.:0a23:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have both and I can get just a little more distance on the cast with the 6500...The new 6500"s also have the improved carbon matrix drag.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ok thanks guys.

5. Trophy-Minnow

Trophy-Minnow New Member

State:
    ohio
    I recently got a 6500C3 and have noticet that you must pay a little more attention to the brake on the 6500 vs. the 6000. I beleive its because the 6500 has bearings on each side of the spool and the 6000 has a bushing on one side and bearing on the other. Makes the 6500 cast a little farther. If you cast it out and notice that the line on the reel gets a little loose make sure to tighten the brake up a little as soon as you notice it or you'll end up like me and snap your line on the next cast or two when the line gets stuck in the reel.

6. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I like the 6500 c3 ,i have 5 i drift with i havent had a single problem had them for a year, i fish every weekend almost .

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I have a 6000 that I've had for a while now. It's a good rod. I have it on a Berkley Big Game rod with 30#mono and it works great. Casts better than any rod I have except for the 5500 that I took the level wind off of. They are a good reel and can land a big fish.

8. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have several of each(6000's and 6500 c3's) I like both of them, but I think there a little small for the Mississippi and anchor fishing. There brakes arent heavy duty enough for minimum 8oz weight and a big bait(back-lash problems) Now for drift fishing rigs and up to 4 oz of weight....there the cats meow! All the reels I have are "06" models and dont have the Carbon-matrix drags, so that has an effect on them also (I know I could add after-market drag washers, but cant see investing more money and time into them)I use "bigger" reels for my anchor fishing rigs. A lot of the places I fish on the Mississippi you need at least 12oz to keep your stuff down!

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Charles, the only difference in the two reels is the color of the endplates, and the 6500 has bearings in the spool instead of bushings. You can make your 6000 a 6500 by just switching out the bushings for a 5 dollar set of bearings. Unless you are wanting the different color, and not the red, then that would be a quick and easy way to get a 6500.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I aways though they was the same Vince.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yea, they are. Only difference is color and bearings.

12. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    I got a C3 6500 last Sat.(the reel I bought about a month ago,Shimano, thumbar broke). I had to pay 20 bucks extra, but I think its worth it.