Abu 6000 V.s. 6500?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Ellis, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Which one is better for channel fishing? Also what would be a good rod to go with it as well? I was thinking maybe a 7 or 8ft ugly stik.
    Thanks

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Well personally my 6000 outlasted my 6500 by a long shot, but there are alot of guys in here who love the 6500..Mine just wasnt to great in my opinion

3. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    yea I love my 6000 it holds quite a bit of line, its smooth, strong, and has a bait clicker and ya i would go with a 7ft ugly stick thats wat i use with berkely big game 20lb test line.

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Have A 6000 On A 7ft Ugly Stik Med. Action Rod & It Works Great For Channel Catfishing.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would say they are very close to being equal, but I also prefer the 6000.

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i use an older 6000 and like it very much. if i were to get a bigger one, it would be a 6501c3 left hand retreive been wantin one of them!:big_smile:

7. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    I guess im going with a 6000 with 7ft ugly stik and 20lbs test line, sound like a good combo?

8. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    The 6000 and 6500 or 01 is jerky when reeling fast it's not until the 7000 or 7001 which I have that they become smoother, try the 7001 for the left hand retrieve it very nice compared to the smaller reels.

9. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    that may be a lil to expensive though:roll_eyes:

10. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    I have never used a 6500, but I have a 6000. If you are fishing for channels. The 6000 would work perfect. Plenty of power and slightly less in price. I can cast 50-60 yards with ease.

11. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    My wife just got me a 7000 for fathers day.It was at the house when I got home from work today.I went to wally world and got some 25# big game mono to put on it.I can not wait to try it out.As far as the wife goes she definitly scored some big points.I've told her in the past never buy me anything for hunting or fishing without me being there but I have to give it to her she did good.

12. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    hmm.... i might be able to get the 7000... tell me how it goes with it:wink:

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a Abu 6000, and I like my very much. I have caught some cats on it to.

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have two 6000's and love them, they are great reels in my opinion. I had a 6500 c4 but didn't like it only because of the fast retrieve. Hard to beat a 6000 for channels.

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Have 2 of the C3 6500's, with 20 Big Game on 7' MH Ugly Cats. Sweet combo's for drifting or tightlining. Think it would be a coin flip as far as which is better for channels.

16. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good for her... I take a few pennies out of my relief check every month for one of those...:wink:

17. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Look in the "Reel repair and Upgrade" section on this site. Abu is turning a 6000 into a 6500 in his "bearing for bushing" thread,

18. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Under most circumstances you won't see any difference. Both will work equally as well.