Abu 6000- Got another one...

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kycatman01, Apr 22, 2007.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well, I got me another Abu 6000 today. This will be my 2nd one. I really love them reels. They cast like a dream!! Does anyone else use them? Done any good?

2. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Yeah I love mine as well. They are very well built, tractor simple to service, and just great feeling reels. I'd trade mine for the ABU 6600 Brute in a skinny minute for catfishing though. Now that is a GREAT reel. I still wish we could buy them for the price we first found them at ($60). :roll_eyes:

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congats I own a Abu 6000, and I love my.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'll keep ya posted. Bought my first one Saturday, on a 10ft. china rod for $74.15. I was at my fav honey hole, and the owner came down the bank for a visit. Hadn't seem him for a year. First words out of his mouth was darn Boots, that's an old old Johnson....you said last year you was gonna get new tackle! I asked what he used, an we talked reels for awhile. He finally said be right back...then came and give me a lesson on using bait casters. Tossed one out with the 6000 on a ten foot, I'm guessing 75 yrds. easy....said he had the whole outfits for 69.95 each, & I didn't have any reason to keep complaining and putting it off....& quit buying my tackle at the store & use his bait shop! Can't argue with reason. It was dark for I got line on it, so it's still new. But all the really good fisher people here really talk up the ABU's...so don't think a fella could chose better after hearing so much advice.
    Are they good to go out of the box, or is there some pre-cleaning oilng needs doing?

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I got a couple of 6000's i've used for more years than I care to remember. They've never needed anything but routine maintance. One is on a Silatar catfish master rod, the other is on a black Ugly Stick rod. Both rods are 7ft med. action. I keep both spooled with 20lb mono line. Both outfits have performed well on everything from 1lb channel cats to flatheads in the 40lb range.
    Bootshowl, when I bought mine I didn't do anything to them before use.

6. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    Have one I bought in 73...still winding and casting like a champ. Just bought a Black Max 6500....now there is a reel. Love them ABUs

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I found that after putting new line on cast it a few times so your line seats good. Also don't forget to set the drag.

Also...Welcome to the BOC Rick!

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've got a couple 6000 reels. Darn fine reels. I've also got 6500 abus, as well as a 6500 black max, and a 5000. My favorite is my 7000, now that reel will cast a country mile. I've got it on a 9' eagle claw water eagle rod & it'll bomb a 5 oz. sinker a long ways. When I first got the 9' eagle claw rods, I put the 7000 on one and a 6000 on the other. Both combos would cast over 100 paces rather easily cross-wind that day, with 3 oz weights, I never really measured how far the 5 oz. weights would cast but I know it's a little further.

Anyway, the 6000 is a great reel, you're gonna love it. Take care of it and it'll last you a long long time.

9. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks alot for your responses, guys. I really appreciate it. I am hoping to take my new 6000 out this weekend to land a nice cat. Wish me luck and the same to you all!!!

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a 6500 C4 and a 6500 TCR, and I love them both.

Did you get a straight "6000"? And if so, what's the difference in this reel from others, like the 6500 C3?

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got a 6000 and a black 6000c,both are probably over 7 years old.I love them both and with regular cleaning and maintenance they should last forever.I usually use my 6000's for channels and my 6500's when I target the flatties.Either ones are excellent choices,IMHO!!!

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    If you want it to cast much, much smoother, try this article in the library. I did this to my 6000 and it casts like a dream now. And if you want to see much more info about reels and everything else you can imagine, take a look here.