ABU 6000 fishing reel fix....

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by 10gaOkie, Jun 26, 2008.

1. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just bought what was supposed to be a NIB Ambassadeur 6000 off Ebay. The first thing I noticed was the crank was slightly bent and the crank would not spin like a new reel. So I took it apart to find the problem. Everything looked ok but in the process I found that when I tightened down the side plates it became harder to crank. If I barely snugged them, the crank would spin smoothly. Tight screws on either side puts the spool in a bind. My idea is to put some non-perm loctite on the screws and then just barely snug them. Is there another way to solve this problem?
    Chris

2. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Make sure you got the brake blocks pushed in,and the tabs are straight when you are putting the reel back together.May not be the problem,but that what it sounds like to me.

Attached Files:

3. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The brake blocks are pushed in. No problem there. It is something else.

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Sounds like your spool shaft is bent or the bearing fits in the reel are wore out. I say call Garcia and let them know your model and they might have you send it back to get fixed or replaced free.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    did you Loosen, or remove the spool cap on the right side. or maybe it's not shimmed right. definately not good for being a new reel.

6. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio....sounds like your fleabay seller was creative with his description of the reel. There's a lot of that going around on that site. Some intentional, to seperate you and your cash. Some based on personal opinion as to what constitutes a cream puff versus a mutt.

If I am having a bad hair day, take the new reel out of the box, and slam it as hard as I can on the floor from 5 feet up, put it back in the box, It's still new in the box. If I had merely dropped it after a touchie-feelie session, same same. NIB.

Anyway, there are many things that can cause your difficulties. Mr. Crab hit on the most likely culprit: a bent axle. He also mentions side plate issues. Check to see that the crank side sideplate is true, and not bent/distorted. Many times there will be a dent near the crank, and when you tighten the two brake plate screws, things clash.
    Check also the boss where the end cap goes. It needs to be square to the world, and the side plate too.

Check to see if the frame is still square as well.

To check quickly for a bent axle: remove transmission side, place axle in spool, place stub end of axle in remaining side plate, push _gently_ down on the spool, (just to stall it and keep it immobile) and attempt to 'twirl' the axle manually. If it's bent, the axle will not turn freely in the spool.
    You will feel the high side. Axles are a pain to straighten without the aid of tooling. By eye, you can get them pretty close tho.

The best and fastest way (for you) to pinpoint these things, is to have another correct reel available, and start switching out parts from one to the other, in a logical order, to make the _correct_ reel fail.

Also: your local Abu repair facility (for the appropriate fee) will make it right too. The factory will do likewise, but you need to do the postage for both, unless there is a repair facility in your trading area.

On parts: you may be billed for those, you may not.

Hope this helps.

Rock on.............KD