abu 6000 anti-reverse

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by quan808, Apr 25, 2008.

1. quan808

quan808 New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    I have some older model abu 6000's and 6000 C's, the anti-reverse has some play and I have lost some fish due to the slight give. Anyway I can make them a true "instant anti-reverse"? Thanks!

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[º>

3. quan808

quan808 New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    thanks Ozzy! Nice fish under your profiles, are those yellowtail?

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    those anti reverse bearings and sleeves wont work on any abu with knobs on both sides. they'll only retrofit to reels with the palming side plate on the left side, and the right side plate has to be flat. some have a hump in the middle of the plate. I cant see losing a fish over the small amount of play thats in the anti-reverse on these reels. Maybe it's not working fast enough. if you know how to take the reel apart i suggest cleaning them. and when you do, take the anti-reverse dog and gently bend the brass ears back together, so it'll react quicker.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    that worked on both of my abus that are like this, if it is an old c-3 u can put the antireverse bearings in, but i dont think it would be worth the difference. Save that money and upgrade the drag washers!

6. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hi, Folks. I'm Ken Driedger, and I am doing my first post here. Thanks for having me. I am celebrating the 42nd anniversary of my 20th birthday, and am semi-retired. I Help out at Mike's Reel Repair forum with moderator duties, and try to answer tech type questions.

On anti-reverse, and IAR ("instant" anti-reverse): Several Abu models are capable of being retrofitted with the IAR. they range throughought the 3 common round sizes. 4-5-6. (quick way to do 45/4600, up to 6600)

You need to check out your reel for the black barrel-shaped nylon bushing/spacer, with the 2 belleville washers on top. You then need to source the one way clutch bearing, and press it in accurately.

If your reel does not use this spacer under the star, then like they say back east in NY: fuggeddaboudit.....

Well, almost. You can buy a sideplate equipped with IAR, and retrofit that.
    Abu sells said side plates for between 15 and 25 USD, depending on the colour of anodizing they use. Ergo: the dull black o-n-e reel's sideplate is about the 15, and the slick silver one for the 6500 is the higher priced one.

Eeb, eh? has a great seller (gilbertspaylakeinky) who breaks down Abu's all the time. I picked up a set of both side plates near-new with iar, for 5 dollars.
    Red. Now and then he will break up other colours.

Abu makes a reel called the JB....jerkbait. It has BOTH the mechanical ratchet, and the IAR.

Hope this helps. Best, KD

7. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    welcome to the BOC ken,and thanks for the post ....

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC! You will like the fine folks and great info here! Thanks for the useful post! Happy birthday you old codger!! :)
    Bill in South Carolina

9. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Quan, good luck with the reels