Abu 5600 C4 or 5601 C4 ' winch '

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by riverbud55, Feb 7, 2006.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Does any one use one of these, been think of trying to get a new 5601 C4 ' winch ' if there still made, by looking at there web site I mite be able order one ( any one know about that?) I have some 5501 c3's and love the way they handle and fit the hand so thinken getting 5601 C4 ' winch ' cuz of the super low gears (3.8/1)and a clicker for some flathead fishing. Don't need a lot of line capacity seeing i fish water about 10ft deep and cast out mayb 50 yds. i'll be useing 20 or 25 lb line. If I were able to get a new one would it have the new Carbontex drag on it?

if i'm not able to get one I have an well used 5601C4 HIGH SPEED that im thinking of putting the low gears in it, new bearing , drag. but i would rather geta new one seeing that it may cost as much to rebuild the old one as get a new one

2. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    The new ones all have the carbon matrix drag, which is just carbon fiber drag washer. They are leaps and bounds better than the old drag material. I have some 6500's that are 3.8 and it's great until you have a fish running at you, because you gotta wind like crazy for a fast running fish. I prefer a faster retrieve so all of mine are 6.3:1. The only thing about the 5500's is the newer ones don't have a clicker which would drive me nuts. I have a 5600C4 that has a clicker and love it.

3. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i have an old 5600c that doesnt have a clicker. you think that would make agood cat reel, or is it a bass reel?

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have 2 5600 c4 hi-speeds loaded with 17lb test that i use for channel fishing. i have heard of folks shying away from them because of them being high speed and are afraid of stripping the gears. i have caught up to 28lb flats on mine. as long as you use the reel as its supposed to be used, for line storage and not a winch, you should be just fine. they do have fine toothed gears but as long as you let your rod do all the wearing out work they will last forever.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    by the way, i have a thread in the reel modifications section showing how to convert a non-clicker to a clicker. really easy and cheap.