Abu 5000...is it tough enough

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by santeecat12, Jul 21, 2006.

1. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    my dad went to michigan and is going to get me a ambassader 5000 with a super 7 rod i was just wandering is it big enough cause i dont plan to catch any thing over 25to30lb btw im going after flatheads and carp how do you think it will handle em

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It should handle anything you hook into. Abu's are tough reels just set your drag right and work the bigger fish. I have caught 20 pounders on a 4500 Abu so the 5000 should do you right.

3. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Absolutely, the 5000 is tough enough.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    those 5000's are the same as the 6500's as far as gears go (so long as it isnt a c4), only difference is width of spool and frame. btw, ive caught several 25lb fish on my 5600c4, no problems.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    yep aint nothing wrong with a 5000.

6. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    I agree with the rest of the fella's, 5000 is enough for what you want to do.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No disagreements here. In fact sometimes I enjoy usig the smaller reel. I am about 95% Circle hooks, so to me they work really well.

8. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    thank all you guys ive never benn so helped out more than when i came here

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It's plenty tough enough for me. I prefer the size of the 6500, but that 5000 is still an Abu and its still tough as nails.

10. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    sounds like you got yourself a great starter set up. That 5000 will hold anything you get into even if it is bigger then what you are fishing for. One thing to remember is to play the bigger fish out, let them wear themselves out!

11. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have an older 5000 that is the only baitcaster in my arsenal of fishin gear that i use on a regular basis. I have a big old Penn that i break out stimes, but not too often.

Mixed in the the bunch are some mid-priced Shimano's and one economy Zebco. Of all the reels i use...i love my Shimano's..but when i hook-up with a fish on my 5000...it feels kinda like a low-powered winch. That thang just flat out brings the line in when i want it too...despite what's on the other end.

cyas
    rc

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think the question should be "are you strong enough". There is a lot of hard knocks you have to pay to be a successful fisherman. Bad weather, cold, heat, chiggers, ticks, snakes, turtles, too much bait, no bait... makes a lesser man want to quit. You have to hang in there and take the good with the bad. Your equipment will be okay...

13. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
  14. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Harley you need to read the post that rsimms put up today on the Tennessee page. A woman in Chattanooga caught her second blue cat this morning on an Abu 5000. This article is proof that you don't necessarily have to have the big macho rigs to land huge fish.
    By the way, she caught it in the Tennessee River with current present.

whatever it takes

Cheez

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    WylieCat caught a 50# blue today with a 5000, too. I have a few around here, and they get a lot of use.

16. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use a 5000 for channels and have hooked 30 pound flatheads on them wile channel fishing and got them in without a problem.

17. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I just got one a month ago and I really like it, haven't hooked anything big yet, but it is one crankin' reel!

Aaron

TA2D

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I purchased my first 5000 around 1962. Paid $15.00 and have been repaid many, many times by its performance. Had to replace pawls twice. I have moved on to bigger and better reels, but the old 5000 is still on a rod and willing to go at a moments notice. They must be the race horse of fishing reels.

19. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
  20. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It is definately tough enuff (remember that song by the Fabulous Thunderbirds?) I have one and so did my dad and grandad.