Abu 4600 level wind sticking to the right

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by ozzyso44, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I went to set the hook, didn't pull too hard, but the level wind is now sticking to the right, just moving about 1/16 of an inch back and forth. Doesn't do it all the time, only about 30-40% is it sticking to the right. Any suggestions on how to fix? Thanks to all those that help.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like the pawl is worn or damaged..

The pawl is held in place with a cap screwed onto the bottom of the line guide, It has a straight slot cut into the bottom of it, and a straight blade screwdriver is used to remove the cap, the pawl is in the bottom of the line guide,,, a pair of needle nose pliers can easily remove it, and a new one installed.

Hope that's it..

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009

3. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Thanks so very much!

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Scott Greg is the man on these ABU's if i cant figgur some thing out he is the one i want telling me how to fix it:wink:

5. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    A great modification for Abus, is a ceramic line pawl. While they appear spendy at about double that of a metal one, the life span is in the order of *years* longer. Rodsters in some of our drainages, that were whining and snivelling that line pawls were 3 and 4 to the season, are now into their 4th year with the *same ceramic pawl* !!~!!

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Check the worm gear too. I go ahead and replace the worm gear when the pawl wears out most of the time. It is another $5 usually and worth it to me to have that other weak link fixed.

7. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    removed the part, still have questions. I think I might have to replace the worm drive...

If I take this thing apart, will parts and springs go flying all over my workbench???

Attached Files:

8. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    these might be better pics

Attached Files:

9. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Thanks for all the help, again.

Where does a person order parts for this reel? Thanks.

Attached Files:

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Scott,
    Hard to tell from the pics,, for me anyway.. The only thing I'm not sure of on those, is why the slot in the worm drive sleeve has the rounded section on the end, that is of a larger diameter than the rest of the slot ,,?? That sleeve may be suspect, but, I'm not familiar with the 4600 reels. Can't tell from the pics if the pawl is bad, but, it doesn't look awful. But, It doesn't seem to take much for one to ,,,"be bad"
    As far as ordering parts, ,, www.abugarcia.com
    you should have a number stamped on the bottom of the reel foot, so, once you get into the site, you can look up the schematic for the reel model you have, and the schematics are pretty good,
    determine your part #'s you want, give them a call, and have your Credit card ready..
    also, the only reason parts will go flyin, is using a hammer to disassemble the reel:smile2:
    But, just take your time, the schematic will help.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  11. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    you da man! Thanks!

12. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    You can get better pics of the worm gear if you remove it. It's not hard. Take the side plate off opposite the handle and remove the clip that holds the worm gear in place.

From those pics the worm gear doesn't look bad. The pawl doesn't either, but I've replaced many pawls that didn't look like they needed replacing but it fixed the problem.

I'm not sure if you can get ceramic pawls from Abu Garcia, but I would go to mikesreelrepair.com and get some. Right now they're only $5.95 which is actually less than what I paid the last time for a factory replacement pawl from the local reel repair shop. Get one replacement and maybe a couple spares for your other reels. Or just go ahead and replace them all, as said before they last a lot longer, plus they are supposed to make the reel a little smoother. As far as I know, all ambassadeurs, at least those in the 4, 5 and 6 sizes, use the same pawl.