absolutely the last striper report for 2008

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went deer hunting yesterday morning and was covered up by small bucks. I think every 4 pointer in the county walked by my stand double dog daring me to cap him. I let them all walk as I wasn't feeling real hungry. Got to the house and the phone was ringing off the hook. My buddy in Glouster called to say we had a short window of easy winds from noon until dark. I called the landowner of a spot I hunt and away we went.

I have had this guy on my catfish boat a time or two and he normally is a humongus Jonah, basically queers any chance of decent fishing. I mean he's ten times worse than a banana on board. What can a fellow do? I owe him big time for letting me hunt and his farm is the closest place to my house and dirt lousey with deer and turkeys.

Off we go on the easy 30 minute trip across the bay from Glouster. Hardly a ripple on the surface. Just like Saturday I see guys in Jon Boats and Kayaks fishing. The tide is moving nicely. I have floats out at 5, 12, and 20 feet deep. Free swimming eels and one on the bottom. Wouldn't you know it, Bubba grabs the eel 5 foot deep under a bobber and heads to South Carolina. I pick the rod out the holder and hand it to my buddy. Bill plays it like a champ and I am thinking the whole time he is going Jonah the deal as always. Darned if he didn't bring her in. I scooped her up in the net. When I hoisted her over the gunnel, the circle hook fell out her mouth.

Bill is all smiles and he has his first citation fish of any species in his life. It was the only hit we had yesterday. Tide went flat at 4:00 sharp so we came on home. Thank goodness Striper season goes out today and I can concentrate on real fish, (Cats).

Attached Files:

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice fish. Looks like you know how to find them. If you need a seat filler next season, give me a yell. I was able to give it one try this year and got skunked.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I got lucky. I went three times to Kiptopeake and floated eels. We caught a citation fish every trip. Josh,,,it is so much like catfishing. You find the bait with :smile2:few big marks, throw the eels overboard and BS with your buddies until the rods go off. Pretty darn simple.:cool2:

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Man that fish looks huge...I can't imagine what catching one would be like....

5. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Nice fish Ken. Even 1 nice fish makes up for a slow day otherwise. :wink:

6. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Nice fish Ken

7. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    nice striper. those buggers eat pretty good.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Since I got home two weeks ago, I have eaten striper on the grill, chowder, fish cakes, and broiled. All have been tasty. I think I like chowder as well as anyway I have fixed it.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats another good looking Striper...congrats!:wink:

10. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Good job on the stripes.
    Hey Kenneth do you have that chowder recipe written down that you can shoot me?
    Thanks,
    Lindsay

11. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for the report Kenneth I heading for blues on the ohio by Cincinnati tomorrow with my daughter when she is with me I can usually keep the skunk out of the boat.Nice looking striper.