Absolutely The Best Time For Summer Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by cross_their_eyes, Jun 5, 2006.

1. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Summer can be tough for catching big blues but, when do you think the best time of day is for the bite? Day or night? What methods work best for you?

2. jovy1097

jovy1097 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I always do my very best fishing in rivers in the hottest part of summer when the water is low. That makes it easier to find the holes and the catfish are more certain to be in them. My favorite time to fish. I find that early morning is the best time.

3. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    I have also noticed that in some locations, the cats bite better in the early mornings.....right before dawn.

4. bartmccollum

bartmccollum New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Aside from fishing the storms, I love catching blues mid-day. When the water is low in July-September on hot dry day's I alway's find them below the riffles rolling in the oxy-rich water catching shad. The only requirements are a deep hole below the riffles and SHAD!!

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    They've all got it right. Best time of the year for me is hot dog days of summer. Dawn to around 10am is best. I've caught some real good ones from noon to 3 pm but the bite is pretty slow.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I like fishing at night in the summer time. The air temp cools off and the fish come out to play.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    The best time to fish for summer blues is when ever the F*ck you can get out on the water... Come on the days are brutal but made all the better if you hook into a fish and the nights are peaceful and calming till you hook into the fish then it becomes exhilirating. Get your lines wet and you can catch fish... keep your lines dry waiting for "the perfect time" then well you won't have as good an odd to catch the fish...

8. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Caught my biggest ones in the morning here, but most all of them will bite all day long so far this summer.

New spot this year so I can't attest to what they've done previously

9. cross_their_eyes

State:
    Show Me State
    Yeah, I heard mornings are good but I'm not really a morning guy...
    I caught two decent Blues a few nights ago using carp from 6 until about midnight. I guess I need to get my ace out of bed about 4 a.m. and try it.

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I have yet to catch a blue. Man I'm looking forward to that 1st one! :smile2:

11. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like fishing at night in the summers

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I love drift fishing on warm summer nights. It seems the blues hit better at night when the water is warm. The only thing is you have to watch out for that little tiny flashing yellow beacon that means a barge is coming your way. Also look out for fog if it starts coming in hit the bank or get off the river. And certainly dont try to drive around in it if it gets thick. Vern

13. cross_their_eyes

State:
    Show Me State
    Drifting is probably a pretty good method in the summer. I have done well in the afternoon till midnight using cut carp. Has anyone ever gave this a shot?
    The biggest fish I've hooked into last year was on cut carp, didn't get him in.

14. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    from my experience i think the best time in the summer is dawn,dusk and middle of the day.

15. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    right now the blues are spawning in my area so bites are really slow now matter what time of day or night you fish any time now its going to turn on

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I do better for blues at night. Right after the sun goes down is the magic time for me. But its normally hit and miss for the summer for me. I do way better in the fall and winter for blues.

17. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I am with you on the morning thing, brother! On rare occasions I'll have insomnia and on THOSE mornings, since I'm already up anyhow, I'll be tickled to get out to the water for some fishing, but most times I can barely drag my butt outa bed by 9AM. doesn't help that I stay up til midnight or later far too often I guess, huh? :crazy: But then again, that DOES leave me conditioned for those late night trips that start around 4 or 5 PM and last til 2 or 3 AM!:big_smile:

18. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i like to fish at night time seems to best times for me.

19. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well i havent had the experience of landing a blue yet if not before i will be trying my best at the national gathering. from what i am hearing there are some pretty nice ones in that lake.

20. deerdust

deerdust New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We do all our fishing for Blues during the dark hours. They seem to bite best around the witching hour..:crazy: But you just never know, sometimes we get an early bite and sometimes it is later in the morning toward dawn.