Absolutely no use for as leatherman fishing tool

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by hopnbrly, Feb 16, 2006.

1. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    Ok guys and gals that was a shameless attention getter to find out how many different ways each of you use your multi-purpose tool.

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have had half a dozen or so! They seem to be getting better, but also more expensive. The cheap ones are garbage. The good ones are nice for an emergency and no tackel box should be without one! However, in my opinion even the best Leatherman like tool, is no replacement for good quality seperate tools. There are many times I tried to do something with it and ended up rummaging around for the real screwdriver, knife, file, scissors, pliers, ect! On a scale of 1 to 10 I rate a leatherman tool about 6!

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I picked up a pair of SOG's while back and had to buy them i think there way better than a leatherman. I also have a small cheapo brand with scissors instead of pliars has some nail clipers on it too work really good for riggin up only paid five bucks for them

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I normally buy them so I can say
    ..."Dang,lost another one!!..."

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I think I have one of the Gerbers somewhere but I never cared much for those type of tools. I wouldn't leave the house without a good pocket knife though.

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm with Phillip on its no replacement for the real tool.
    That said, I still dont leave home without my muilt tool. A few things I use it for is, minor auto elect work. Fixed a bike with it. Hose repair. With the needle nose part, I use that to take hook out of fish. Cut line, fixed pole, have even skinned several catfish with mine when it was all I had. Now that is hard fish cleaning but it got the job done.
    I've open cans with it. Used it to eat with and a number of other things.
    List goes on

Mine is a craftsman and its a good one. I've had it for several years.

7. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They make great weights for fishing, when I am working on something and they fall into the water then they cool me off while I retrieve them. I get to practice my swear words when they cut or slip and pinch my fingers. I get lots of exercise trying to find where I put them last. They hold lost of fish extras when you close them and forget to give em a good scrubbing. Since I can never find mine they also help the economy as I seem to buy several each year. What a incredible and versatile tool:crying:

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Get one to carry on your belt so you dont loose it. :)

9. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a Gerber I carry on my belt often and some cheap knockoff I keep in my tackle box.They are OK for alot of stuff in a pinch but no substitute for the real tool.Like the others say I feel naked without my pocket knife.I have a Case XX in my pocket now,but I have Uncle Henry,Buck, Old Timer and many others in a box and I switch around when one gets dull.After I go through all of them I sit down and take a day to sharpen all at once.

10. Mr_Catfish

Mr_Catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't have a problem losing them since they are everywhere in my house ,truck,garage,tackle bag, and everywhere else I think I might use one.I have so many of them because I get at least on every year as a gift. Off the top of my head I can count 10 of them and I'm sure their are more.

11. Ralph in MO

Ralph in MO New Member

I love a good, useful tool and will pay the bucks to get quality. But, having said that, the tool I find myself using most often, is a heavy duty pair of sissors, I picked up at the 'Dollar Tree' store. It will cut line, trim gill tails and make cut bait out of shad, gills, carp, drum or just about anything else you can think of. Of all the 'stuff' I've bought for the purpose of fishing, this was the best dollar I've ever spent.

Ralph

12. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I always use my multi-tool for making limb lines, un-hooking fish, and cutting up my bait.

13. hobocatfisher

hobocatfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have a couple set's laying around, but find that a heavy nail clipper and needle nose pliers are about all I take except for a fillet knife.

14. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Nuthin beats a good ol pocket knife. And I got this really long pair of needle nose pliars that I can take a hook outta gars rear from the inside.

15. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's hilarious!:grin-big:

16. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    they come in handy when im cleaning a catfish. using the can opener to open a can of soup.

17. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I like them ok, especially for trimming line and the knife. It isnt a substitute for the real ones, no, but it is useful if you forget your pocket knife at home...but I havent ;) I have one made by Winchester that has a really sharp knife I almost sliced the tip of my finger off with once. If youre going to get one, get one that is good quality. The Winchester hasnt failed me yet.

18. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    About the only thing I use mine for is to open bottles of Corona's.

19. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Gerber Multiplies with the Needle nose comes belted with me everytime I'm fishing. Hands down the best tool out there because you can get the pliers snapped out with one hand using the flick of a wrist. While your using your other hand to hold the fish or what ever.

20. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I was going to get on here and say how I havent used mine in years. Well I went fishing today and used it twice. Both times it was the saw, worked great to scale a bluegill and then to cut a branch to get my line back.