Above or Below?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by indiana_fishin, Oct 5, 2005.

1. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    I;ve heard alot on this website that theres good fish 2 be caught at dams.I was wonderin above the dam or below where the water spills off,better?I can understand the top cuz its deep and all and i can understand the bottom cuz im sure the waters well oxygenated.Lemme here what u guys say on the matter,which produces the fish

2. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    For cats, I'd go with the tailraces.
    Not only is the water oxygenated, but there is quite a "soup" of food all mixed up and ready for the taking.
    Look for differential currents in the water below the dam (where the current changes). Fish will hold in the slower water (exerting less energy) and ambush bait/food as it's washed by.
    Usually between two flow valves is a good place becuase fish will lay in the easier, slower current, and ambush the food as it comes through the flow valve or as it's kicked up buy the turbulance.

3. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    K,Shud i try throwin out some live gills?or will chicken liver,dip baits etc work also?

4. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Bait is completly dependant on the cats your chasing. If the cats in the water youre trying to catch are used to bluegill as a main food source then that would be the best bet. This is where youre going to have to do some homework on your own. Have you fished this body of water at all? If so what have you chought? Is there an abundance of shad or bluegill/sunfish/pumpkin seed ... perch... the water will dictate what the cats can and will feed on.

Dip baits and store bought baits will generally catch something anywhere.. usually smaller fish. But keep in mind that if your fishing turbulant water then your dip baits are goig to last about half as long if not less.Of course water temp as alot to do with how long your baits last too. Once you catch a few good keeper cats, take time to look in their stomachs while cleaning them. Its not a plesant expierence but very educational one. I've foudn everythign from hooks to plastics for bass, to undigested power bait ..but it will give you an idea of what the fish are feeding on. If its little gut is full of shad/minnows shiners ect... then you know thats a good way to go.
    bait fish are allways a good way to go for larger fish in my opnion.

If you mention the specific body of water your fishing in the "by location" forums Im sure some over there might have just fished there before and can give you some specific info. Also you can try a google search for that body of water and theres a good chance some where some one is talking about it.

If that dosent pan out, then pic a nice day to go for a walk.. and leave the poles at home haha.. go talk to people fishing see "how they are doing" keep an eye out for their bait... watch them for a little while and see when they swap out baits..I say leave the poles at home because for some reason fishermen tend to be a little more open talking to people that dont appear to be in direct competition hahah..just been my expierence.

5. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Cut bait and tailraces go together like peanut butter and jelly. Or you could use peanut butter and jelly. Catfish can be caught on almost anything but what they are looking for, in this situation, is pieces and parts of bait fish that are discharged through the dam. Shad are usually the most prolifilc fish in a lake and are a good bait choice. The head, guts, or gut pockets w/guts are good.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Below the dam in the moving waters always seems to be a place for big fish. The moving water churns up and moves the baitfish, and the catfish love it!!

Be careful. What is calm still water now many be churning like a whitewater river when the spillway is opened and the turbines are running . Most damns around here have alarms that sound. The damns do not run all the time. You are better to move back on a new river and adjust your location once you see what the water is doing once the turbines are opened up.

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    below the dam is where it is at...........from what i have been told. the baitfish run up river until they hit the dam, the cats run up river chasing the baitfish, once they hit the dam they cant go any further.....so there they are at the dam..........usually when fishing a spillway at night u can see tons of lil baitfish jumping out of the water all over the place.....i like to use big lively gold fish at the spillway.....