About to give up

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by lfeduccia, Sep 4, 2008.

1. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    My brother and I have been trying to catch flatheads and just do not seem to be able to get it done. between the two of us we have landed maybe 10 to 20 flatties all summer long. We have been out just about every night and still nothing. we have tried everything we could read. I am about to give up the look for them and start fishing for things like channels and bow fins. We went fishing for bow fins last week and they were loads of fun. They move like a snake on land and are stronger then sh!t. We caught 20 or so about 3 feet long, and lost a little over 20. In one day we caught more bow fins then the flatties we fished for all summer long.
    The bad part about flatties is while fishing for them and catching nothing I have seen them swim right up to the boat as if we were not even there. So I know we are in the right area but just do not seem to be able to catch them. Do not get me wrong I will still try and catch me a good flatty but I am getting tired of all the none hitting. Maybe this weekend well yield better results. I hope to hit white river in one of three places Raymond and west st drop, up near west side or out at the 30th street drop. If someone has a better place to go I am listening and willing to try anything.
    I am going to take my bass tracker crappie pro out. It has a 50hp motor (not jet) does have a lift plate for the motor. I can get into 6 to 8 inches of water. To bad the prop is busted up but it still pushes the boat and plains out.

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

1. Try fishing spots that hold flatheads.

2. Move if you don't get a bite within 1 hour.

3. Try different baits (bullheads? bass? carp?)

4. But my best formula to catching flatheads is TIME ON THE WATER.

3. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Hey man, don't feel so bad. I have only been back to fishing 3 maybe 4 weeks now after years of not fishing. I have been all over and have only caught maybe 5 or 6 fish total. I have sat beside my mom and fished, she caught probably 15 - 20 channels, and i was using the same bait, the same size hook, the same everything sitting next to her and I only caught a 4 inch bluegill.

I have considered giving up already myself, but I know in time I will get it back... I am seeking a flathead myself, not caring about the size really, I just want to catch one. I am 31 years old, I have only caught 1 of them my entire life and it was purely accidental on my part. And I can thank my mom for that one I caught.

4. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    1. If they are swimming up to the boat I must be in the right spot.

2. I move my bait once every 10 to 20 miniutes and the boat about once every 30 min. to and hour depending on how many poles are in the water.

3. I do use a wide varity of bait bought and caught.

4. Time well I have been known to spend 12 to 20 hours on the water. Every night.

I do appreciate the advice and maybe I need a new area, but I have heard of and seen big fish come out of the areas I been in. I do not know.

thanks.

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    What type of terminal rig are you using? If you are seeing Flatheads swim by, you might try using a slipfloat set 2-4 foot deep.

6. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    I really did not think of that. I diffently well try that next time. What size float should I use a light wieght or heavy wieght?

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Lloyd,
    If you can see them then they can see you. It is very rare in my experience to catch any fish in areas where they are cruising in plain sight.
    It's like those nature shows about places like the Serengeti. The herds of antelope and zebra show know fear of the lions at times because they know that while the lions are moving around in full view they are not looking to make a kill.
    Try to find some structure adjacent to where you see them and try a variety of presentations. If using live fish for bait, try cutting it a little bit so it bleeds. hard for them to pass up a bait giving off fresh blood...W

8. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Lloyd, I never have caught a flathead. My biggest fish was a 38" pike & a 9# bluecat. I seem to have the best luck when I expect it the least.

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Well, I have caught 10 channels all summer long.. and I dread to count the hours but I am sure its at least 100 hours!...

so...fishing for the cats can be tough! my home waters are not well known for catfish and they are sparse (... but they are fun to catch and few fish get bigger.

Big catfish are near the top of foodchain (and ESPACIALLY trophy flats) and they are strait up worth the wait.
    In addition, its my first year seriously chasing the big catfish (which for me are 'just 20#':smile2: channels), so its more than understandable that I'll struggle for a while to figure out where they are and how to catch them.

that being said some fastpaced bowfin fishing sounds real fun. perhaps a good 'break' from that serious and difficult hunt for flats.

you know what they say, good things come to those that wait...:wink:

10. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Patience, like honesty, is still a virtue. Sometimes I'll go out two or three times and catch nothing and then the next time BAM! The fight's on...:eek:oooh::wink:

11. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Hey Lloyd, I think the catfishing has been somewhat slow this year. But, DON'T QUIT!
    As your fellow BOC Brother I order you back
    to the water! :)

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I gave up a long time ago... I have been fishing for carp, useing live bluegill for bait. But I keep catching those darn catfish... where are the carp?

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have been fishing once a week for Flatheads since the middle of March. I have caught 2. One was a (43.1) lb'er and the other was a(67.2) lb'er. One of the guys I fish with ( Griz) caught a (45.2) Lb'er. So while we may not be tearing them up......we certainly make the most out of each and every trip. Having fun is the most important thing.....and you just got to go and try every chance you get. Good Luck on your next trip!!!!:big_smile:

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.

Good advice, I take a break and go after Channel catfish every now and then. Earlier this year I sat down with a tub of DK's I won and wore the Channel cats out :smile2: It was a blast and took my mind off the slow Flathead fishing we've had this year.
    We've had a severe lack of rain here this year, the lakes are low and hot still. The only thing you can count on here this year is the Channel cats, you can always catch them :big_smile:

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Check out the Kat Bobber floats made by wildwolf products.

http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/

They will hold up any bait you want to use.

16. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    LOL Thanks and yes sir

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cant imagine having the time to fish every night, you are very fortunate.

20 flatheads in a season on the waters I fish would be a good year, but I only get out about twice a month

18. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The whole month of August I didn't catch any catfish bigger than a pound.

Sunday It turned around with a single big 13# channel.
    Wed I tried my luck again and found a 10#12oz channel and 2 nice 2-3 lb eaters.

Hang in there!

19. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    where u catching this bow fins?? White river??

20. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    It is a secret. No not on white river.