About to give up on flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by miichael, Jul 1, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I been fishing hard the last 2 weekends and i still havent caught any flatheads. The lakes around me doesnt have any flatheads so i have to drive about 2 hours to a river near me to catch any. I been fishing log jams at night in about6-8 foot of water. Im anchoring above the jam and casting right near it and letting the current drag my live bream and shad under the log jam. Last night i fished from dark till daylight on log jams and caught 0 flatheads. I need some info i know theres flatheads where im fishing i caught a 40lb in a deep channel during the day. I would like to just catch some 8-20lb flatheads and i would be happy. Any info for me would be great. i posted a picture of the jams i fished.

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Heres the picture where i was.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's been a bad year for alot of people including me..It would be hard however having to drive that far to catch flatheads, I have them 3 miles from my house.

4. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    Maybe the hole is fished out, or there is to much pressure. IF there in the river they may have moved to spawn I would try a different stretch, and try to locate some more cover. Then try back in a week or so. That is how it is where i live. People may fish that hole all week long that you dont know about. Your hardcore though for driving that far. Once you catch another big one youll be ready to fish all the time again. I went a whole year without catching one and the i caught 2 in a week.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Never give up just try finding a couple of new spots to fish.

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Man, there are so many varibles involved when fishing.
    The weather, riseing or falling river, maybe they just got stuffed full of bait for a few days, spawning, just plain not the right place at the right time.

All I know for sure is the only way to catch them is to fish for them.
    It's discourageing sometimes, but I quantee that when you do get into them, you will say it was all worth it.

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    These flatheads are sure hard to locate. I try to throw in a little channel and blue fishing to keep me motivated. Good luck and let us know when you score.

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    are they spawning

here i havent cought ANYTHING for the past 2 1/2 weeks

that would be my bet

but i dunno
    just try and hang in there

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I don't pursue flatheads, but at some point I want to. From what I have learned you have to be prepared to NOT catch a lot of fish if you want to find the trophys.

Mature trophy flatheads dominate the area they roam, thus they run other flatheads out. This makes it harder, but some folks have told me you can catch a couple of good flatheads in the same general area if there is ample cover.

Don't limit yourself to night fishing. I know some guys you can catch them as well during the day as at night.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Been a rough year for me as well brother. They will turn on after the spawn.

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    miichael, i think the flats are spawning right now. there hasnt been many reports on flats in n.c. lately and that is more than likely the problem you are having. you are fishing good waters highrock and i dont think that area around 85 gets fished that much.

12. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    dont realy know about your area but the flats are spawning here in wv. went fishisng today from 6pm until 11pm and we only caught one channell. good luck and dont give up.

13. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    catfishrus do you fish highrock also? I been fishing yadkin around 85 bridge and up above the york hill landing. How long will spawn last? im a rookie flathead hunter and know little about them. I caught lots of baby channel cats up there fishing for bream. Im not fishing next weekend due to the 4th of july and so many people but i may go that next thursday and give it a try depends on how long the spawn lasts.

14. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dont give up. i fished my tail off for weeks ddnt catch nuthin, just fed gars, then started researching on here and started asking people questions, then BANG the big one hits, could not have caught him if i wasnt there, lucky yes, but how many boats on the river with me that night.......none, u cant catch them if u dont go, i will also fish for channels with worms and cut bait, to help pass the time. If you caught your big fish during the day maybe they are coming into the shallows at night try the shallows adjacent to the hole and structure.

15. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Don't give up brother. Those flatties might well be spawning in your area. They might just be playing hard to get too. Switch them up, toss a live blue gill or some cut bait at them. A whole uncooked shrimp maybe. Are you just fishing the pile at night? My suggestion hit that pile late afternoon, 1-2hrs. before dusk. Then find a backwash/cutback along the bank with 2-4ft. of water and a drop off close. Best choice at night is a feeder stream dumping into your river, it doesn't have to be very big, 2-3ft. wide is plenty... a field tile draining into the river, an island, just one old snag in 3-4ft. with a drop off close. A bend in the river with a straight up and down bank and a walk out on the other side, just above a rif would be ideal too. Fish that one in 4-6ft. of water and Mr. flattie will come calling. As you can see, I'm not fishing deep water at night unless the river is way down. 99% of the flatheads I've caught at night has been in water 6-8 ft. or less. Keep pounding on them you'll find what they want!
    Don

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    from the looks of the water in that photo i'd be amazed anything is alive in it! what is that, rust?:crazy:

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dink that is this beautiful red clay dirt that sticks to bottom your of shoes that washes into the lakes and river when we get heavy rains.

18. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    Yeah dont feel bad last night I drove to Mark twain lake,a spot I had seen and wanted to try.I sat there about 8 hrs and never got a bit one.When I got there I caught a couple of big bluegill on the ultralite for bait.I put a live on on 1 pole,a head and guts on another,and tryed liver then dip bait and then worm on another and nothing.I was disappointed it will be awhile befor I go back there with gas $2.87.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was thinking the same thing dink was, will the fish bite in that rust colered water?

20. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Right now, in KS, they're in the spawn. So, that means they're up feeder creeks and the upper portions of the river. It could be that you're fishing the lower stretch. I like to fish no more than two miles downstream from a dam from prespawn through summer. But, when fall comes back around, they'll head back down stream. Hope this helps.

-Red