About time for a new chainsaw

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by wolfman, Jan 15, 2010.

Which chainsaw would you buy?

1. Husqvarna

2. Stihl

3. Echo

4. Poulan

5. Homelite

6. McCulloch

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Thinking of getting another chainsaw, which saw would you buy?

2. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    So far im leaning toward a Stihl

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    100% Stihl here! You won't be disappointed!

Bill in SC

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've sold Stihl products for ten years now, and you can't beat the product or the service. I've got 3 Stihl saws, and my trimmer is a Stihl as well. Can you guess which way I voted?:smile1:

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    ya cant go wrong with a stihl or husky. what are you looking to spend and what size saw are you looking for? let me know and Ill be able to make a few suggestions of particular saws. I fix, build and modify saws as another hobby when I cant fish:smile1:

6. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've used three different makes & Stihl has out cut anything I've used.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Stilh all the way here. Also have a stilh trimmer and blower.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Wolf like mentioned above Ya Got to get yourself a STIHL!!! Them Suckers will cut a load of firewood Lickity Split. I also own 3 of them Bad Boys,1-360 Pro,24" bar,1- 260Pro 18"bar and a 180 16"bar Them Bad boys Smoke!!! I have owned several others before I bought my first Stihl,Husqvarna being one(Which was Hard starting on a Good day) and Stihl gets My Vote hands Down,Ya spend a little more up front but it's well worth it in this old boys book.Oh Ya one more thing Wolf Chain saws are like the little lady (Never Loan them Puppies out Not even to your Kids) Especially Stihls!!! JMHO. TIMBER,J.D.

9. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    just for general seasonal use to cut firewood, maybe 16 or 18 inch. Dependablity, is biggest concern.

10. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Go with a stihl. They are the best IMO.

11. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Get one of them electric ones from Harbor freight, they are great and you can run em for free with a long extension cord when your neighbors ain't home. :rotfl:

Just kidding, Stihl all the way if you want reliability.

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    all the time. I tend to lean toward poulans. They cost 1/3 of what a stihl or husqvarna cost, and even if they last only 50% of what one of the other saws cost, you're ahead of the game still. I've never had a problem with them. Our tree trimming guys at work wear out husqvarnas all the time, but they cut 5 days a week. Just goes to show that the will all eventually wear out, even the expensive $500 and $600 saws they buy.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  13. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have had an old stihl farm boss for years and it still starts like it was new , that would be my first choice.However I was at work and a co-worker was selling his poulan , it was small and I was needing one to throw on my four wheeler at times.It looked new so I gave him his 50.00 asking price , had an extra chain and the hard case.I used this all during deer season as we were camping and cutting old lay downs for wood.I am impressed by its small size and power.I have no trouble recommending either a poulan or stihl.

14. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i will catch a lot of crap for this post im sure but as a man with over 40 saws i speak from experience!!
    stihl saws are the abu garcias of chainsaws.. they are the best known name so if you ask a guy that has never owned a saw he will probably tell you stihl just like the general weekend fisherman will tell you abu is the only reel to have as he is cranking in his shakespere reel... when i was logging we used them alland BROKE them all!!!! stihl, echo ,husky ,poulan, jonsered and even had some ground guys that loved the old red homelites!!!! and the truth is for a homeowner saw to cut firewood once or twice a year. your retarded to buy a big name [big$$$] saw to use around the house.. first thing to fail on a home owner saw that sets more than its used is the fuel lines or carburator and guess what they pretty well all use the same line and the same walbro carburators! if you want a big name saw echo is the best price for what your getting.. but i would say a good poulan [not the all plastic wild thing poulan ] will get you buy for much less money and all the part can be bought CHEEEP .... but if you want to get rid of your old saw walt think about me:call-me: i collect them like you collect fishin stuff lol ... i can probably even hook you up with a really nice used saw if you dont want to buy a new one... funny thing about this post .. last weekend when i went to cut some wood my stihl ms390 wouldnt start so i had to use my old 4400 poulan that my dad bought new back in the 80s and is very very used... lol the 390 stihl is only 2 years old!!!!

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bought a 029 super farm boss some years back 18 inch bar. Toughest dang saw I ever owned. Cut fire wood hard with it a few years, was sellen fire wood and cutting my own. Cut some loads of logs with her to and posts. It cuts well and always started good and ran well. Took it in for a tune up after 9 years still runns good. If you just want a good firewood, farms saw that can work as a light duty loggen saw this ones hard to beat with sqaure strait tooth cutting chain. Safty chains are for the birds lol. O yea forgot to menton I have worn out 5 bars with this saw.

16. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    STIHL!!!We have had other saws and id have to say there Crap!!!Mchoulic aint bad but stihl is better!!

17. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    husky. i used to log for a living and a husky was the only one that whould hold up. less vib. than a stihl and held up longer. and trust me we put em to the test. husky is the best and only saw that is worthy of being called a chainsaw. 2nd a stihl is ok but cat hold up to the abuse of being hauled around on a log skidder and constant running. u can put the tip of a husky in a vanieer log and make ur cut but the bar on a stihl bent. to me thats junk. if i put the tip in a walnut to make a vanieer cut it better not get pinched cause the bar got to hot and bent. again junk. husky all the way. and it has been field tested and approved.

18. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    right now the best deal going is a poulan pro 330 from tractor supply for 199.99. This was the last of the well built poulans. Its an excellent deal for the money and makes a great firewood saw.They're very solid and they have a vertical split magnesium crank case just like other pro series saws that cost alot more money.

you can also get refurbed husky 455 ranchers on the Internet and i think some husky dealers have them for around 230. another good saw that should do everything that you need. brand new they go for about 400.(if you can get it at the discounted price its a good deal but I wouldnt pay the $400 for a new one theres better options out there for the money)

personally I stay away form the lower end stihl saws lots of plastic and your mostly paying for the name.

If you dont mind paying the money the Husky 346 is an awesome saw but much more expensive at about $500.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  19. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Made my living the past 20 yrs. running saws. Stihl & Husqy are the best made. I have both on my truck.

When in a tree it's a Stihl 200T. I use both makes when on the ground. They handle differently from each other & some of the older Husqy's would not flush a stump as low as my Stihl 361 or 066. Niether flavor should give you trouble.
    Beyond that what color dog do you like best?

20. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Husqvarna has lost some credibility from what I hear. We've been using a Poulan Pro for two years, but if I was going to buy one right now, I'd probably get a Stihl if I could afford it. Newer Poulan Pro's, and possibly the newer Husky's do have an extremely sucky quick-adjust system that is also "quick-come-loose". We had to buy the piece from the older models to be able to get any practical use out of our saw. A sharp blade is the key to cutting good though.