About that tournament...

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, May 2, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm not fishing in the tournament at Warsaw this weekend, but still would like to get out on the river below Warsaw.

For those of you who know more about this tournament in particular, am I silly to think I can get out on the water and have a reasonably good time with all of those anglers on the water also?

Last thing I want is to spend the day jockying for position with tournament fishermen... :roll_eyes:

Any idea about how many boats there might be? 10? 100? More?

I'll go put in up at the Bledsoe Ferry ramp or at the Warsaw city ramp above the swinging bridge if necessary - I don't mind the boat ride, and I may end up fishing near where the old and new channels meet anyway...

2. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty there are two tournaments on the lake this weekend. One is all the way down at Hiawatha Beach the other is leaving from Drake Harbor. The USCATS tourney is leaving from Drake and goes until 4:00pm stop and see the weigh in if you get a chance. I really don't think they will affect your fishing much and I definately wouldn't let it stop me from fishing. See ya on the water!

3. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Yea marty,brandon a i decided to do the tournement ,but you shouldnt have a problem fishing there might be 30 boats but most of the time they head down stream depends if there running water

4. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wouldnt let a tournament stop you from going out fishing on your local waters. Most of them will run 30 to 50 miles from the dock anyhow. Watch where they are fishing and how they are set up. You might learn a few things and some new holes you didnt know about for later reference.
    Always keep an open mind when out fishing no matter if you are pleasure fishing or in a tournament. THere is a reason how and where everyone fishes no matter who they are. Tournament fishermen at the Pro level wont crowd you as they have a respect for you and your hole you are on.

5. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty I went by Steve's today to pick up a couple of things. He said he's not entering.Steve is against the ten fish limit and would like to see it lowered to at least 5 fish. He slayed em the other day so you should have a great time. I would still like to get in the tourney if it works out. My feeling is a three fish limit is perfect it puts the premium on quality and doesn't force you to waste time filling your limit, so you can concentrate on getting larger fish.

Good luck tomorrow Marty and I may see you guys if you get down river(I kind of doubt it the way the current is). See ya on the water!

6. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    well it looks like brandon and i are not going to do the tournement ,so we will be down friday night to fish all night ,anyone else going out friday night?

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Sorry you're not going to make it, Robert - really looks like it's going to be a great tournament and a great day to fish.

We're supposed to meet Steve Thursday at 10am and really looking forward to a good time.

I'm not sure if I'm more excited or if my son is -- he's running for Student Council in his class and was writing his campaign speech this evening - started it out "I'm A.J. and I'm running for Student Catfish"...

Guess I know where his mind is!

Taking the camera and camcorder with me so hope to get some footage of the boy reeling in a big one. Will give a report when we get home...

8. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    The current has been starting up around 10:30 each day so thats a great time to start. Your son sounds like a great kid Marty keep him fishing with Ya! See ya on the water!

9. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Vince I ran into a couple of those "classy" catmen when I was out fishing today. One of them went by me on my south side within 40 yards(the water was only five feet deep there) then he went down river and must have watched because next thing you know he's pulling his 20ft SeaArk right up next to mine(I'm still fishing) watching the sonar as he comes and marks his GPS. He pulled up and was going to play it coy but I spoke up and ask him if he was fishing the tourney and he said yes. I told him I was as well(thinking he would take the hint) but he quized me about what I was catching(I might have told an untruth) about that time one of my rods went down and he shouted " you got a bite on that pole". I reeled it in(it was dink) and threw it back in. He went up river a few hundred yards and anchored. Shortly after that another boat did something similar but at least he didn't come right to where I was, he just motored slowly over my lines studying his sonar and explaining to his passenger why I was fishing that spot.

I understand how competitive tourneys can be and I guess this guy just missed the money the last couple of years one time it was my fault. But its kind of classless to introduce yourself to someone who is anchored fishing and might be the competition. I left shortly after that and went up river to another spot that is not visible unless you go over the area thoroughly with your sonar.

I will add the fish were biting like crazy today, all sizes! I caught over 40 fish I lost count it could have been 50. I had 30 large shad(I got three baits out of some of them) and fished from dawn till after 4:30pm. I had a ball but I am SO tired. If they continue to pull water they may set a record weight at the tournament. The BITE IS ON! See ya on the water!

10. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Er, Ron, you got the GPS coordinates on that spot? Is that tournament on LOZ or Truman?

How'd the trip with Steve go?

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Went fishing today on the upper LOZ and saw all the tournament fishermen going at it. We didn't stay around for the weigh-in, but it looked like a pretty tough day for a tournament. Not a drop of water moving and the bite was incredibly slow.

We fished for about 5 hours and ended up with only 5 fish, biggest was 22" and about 5 lbs. Saw Steve Brown a couple of times but don't think he recognized us in my boat. But seeing us fish in the same places he took us a few days ago should have been a clue, I think...

Our last spot was just above one where we fished with Steve. He came along about an hour later and anchored 500 yards or so downstream. And I'll be darned if that leech in the "Captain Catfish" boat didn't follow him and anchor less than 50 ft away. What a clown. Never saw that guy catch a single fish either - but he was way over on the south side of the river and couldn't have been fishing in more than 6 or 8 ft of water. We were anchored in the channel and had a consistent but slow bite from the dinks.

It rained from about 12:30pm until we got off the water at 3pm. I counted 16 boats in the water upstream from the Warsaw harbor, all anchored and fishing for cats - guess they were staying close to the weigh-in site so they could maximize their time.

Really disappointed that the water didn't run but still had fun anyway. And got to try out my new Gore-Tex rain suit from Cabelas. I'm a believer. Dad might be also, given that he refused to bring his rain suit along and got completely soaked.

I'll be interested to hear what it took to win the tournament - my guess is it'll be around 50 lbs of fish unless someone got really lucky and hooked a monster.

12. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Captain Catfish, what a moron! That guy fished right next to me where you saw me fishing when you went out with Steve that day. Its a killer spot and I was catching fish so he stayed there too. He only caught a few dinks but when I left he ran right over to where I was and anchored out in the deeper water which is stupid because you can't let your bait drift to the ledge where the fish are hanging. Oh well, guess all that money he has can't buy him the intelligence to catch fish! Hey, maybe since I'm a Sergeant at the Sheriff's Office where I work I should go buy some big yellow letters and put "Sergeant Kicka**" on my boat. I'd be cool for sure then lol! Chris

13. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Well I didn't fish the tournament but I took my two brother-n-laws out to catch some fish and just see how I would have done. Here are a few pictures of the two largest fish we caught one a 55lber and the other a 25lber. I don't know how much weight won it, we were only out a few hours in the afternoon. I have been saving the spot we fished for the tournament and then I didn't fish it so we fished it today. Enjoy and See ya on the water!

Attached Files:

14. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Here's a couple of me with the largest fish! I should have taken pictures of how ripped up my hands were from lifting the fish into the livewell! Whoops the pictures are too big!

15. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Ok here's a couple of pictures with me and the fish. I'll post more details about the catch in my Locating Blues thread.

Attached Files:

16. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man what a pig! And the fish is big too! :big_smile: :big_smile:

17. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice fish Ron! Definately trophy hunting lol! I'm guessing those fish would have won the tournament. Doesn't matter if you entered or not, you went fishing with no tournament pressure of having to catch fish and had a good time so mission accomplished. Chris

18. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Chris I had planned to fish the tourney but we had company, a birthday party and too many other things. I had prefished a number of other areas but avoided my tops spots because I didn't want any soremouth fish come tourney day. Well I didn't fish the tournament and aparently no one fished my spots so we had a great time. Both my brother-n-laws had the time of their lives and can't wait to do it again. I am just tired its been a busy month and I still have to edit some video and get it off to Paul like I promised. I love catching,photographing and releasing fish and I love fufilling someones dream of catching a trophy. I am happy and very very tired and worn out. I'm sure a couple of fellows will come calling tomorrow to see if I can put em on some big Blues. I just hope I have recovered by then. If I was healthy I'd already be guiding. See ya on the water!

19. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice fish Ron. Looks like you got it going on

20. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ron. Geeze…I guess I havent been out on the circuits for awhile to see something like that happen. There used to be a respect for others in an unwritten code of ethics that many of the real Pros have. Just because they have a pretty new boat with their name across it doesn’t make them a Pro. I guess ones like us are a dying breed that is trying to keep up our Image and promote our Sport as this is a prime example why we need to educate even more. There is no excuse for something like that as they should have been reported and disqualified for those type of actions. Perhaps they need to be informed of rule #8) All tournament boats must maintain a distance of 50 yards between each other. Ribbons must be displayed while anchored. If fishing out of the boat, you must be within 150 feet of boat. I would never dream of running across some ones lines on purpose in their hole looking for fish on the scanners especially with how loud my engine is. They might as well go ahead and make it real obvious and throw in a bleach bottle for that matter. Half the time, I never use my scanner anyhow as I remember my grandfather telling me that if you see it, doesn’t mean your going to catch it.

There are many of us that will slow down and ask if you are doing any good as we know each other. Some will tell ya most of the time and some… you know how it is.. We also know that within the first 30 minutes is when you will catch the bigger more aggressive fish out of that hole they are sitting on and to go look for a new hole as that one has been picked apart. There is an educational tip they might want to learn!

So I am sorry to hear about that. It is not right as the least they can do is ask you if you mind or not is within those ethics that we all know.....