ABOUT SILVER AND BIGHEAD CARP

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by OhioRiver, May 18, 2009.

1. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They make good cutbait. But also, are supposedly delicious. Just because they have "carp" in their name doesnt mean they're like our native carp. The meat is white and flaky when cooked. They are HEALTHIER than salmon, and are a better source of omega 3. In Asia where the fish is originally from, the rivers are almost fished out because people like them so well. Of course I do know that Asians (people) eat some wierd things lol. But seriously, maybe you should keep one someday and just try it. I mean people used to think tomatoes were poisionous. And I hear more and more people saying that those silver carp and bighead carp are NO comparison to common carp. I for one plan on keeping some the next time I get lucky enough to get a live one.

I know there was already a post about silver carp.

Put some in a smoker and smoke some. I hear its awesome.

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    No trying to be picky, but our common carp is NOT native...it too is an exotic species introduced to the US around 1850. 'Been here so long & is so successful sure feels like a native though! I suppose in a 150 years everyone will figure the asian carp are native too!

I've heard the same thing about being good eating...seems like there's another thread on here about someone trying it.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    what are the bones like? if they are not bony and just eat plankton, i could see were they mite be good.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Carp are never native, they were stocked in America's water system back in the mid 1800s by Europenas that eat carp. They taste like crap and have ruined our lakes, rivers, and creeks by uprooting vegetation and which muddys up the water and kill spawning habitat for native gamefish.

The silver and asian carp are actually edible fish. Do not associate the european carp to the asian and silver carp. Don't knock it until you try it!

PS: All carp are great for baiting coon traps and will make your tomato plant get as tall as Yao Ming.:cool2:

5. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WELL. I didnt know that about common carp. Thanks for letting me know this. :)

6. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    The latest issue of indiana game and fish came today and on page26 is a list of fish it is illegal to possess ALIVE.
    Bighead carp black carp silver carp must be killed as soon as landed and not returned to the water. So fish softly and carry a big stick!!!!:wink:

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I READ A ARTICLE ABOUT MOST OF THE FISH EATEN IN AMERICA WAS 90% CARP.THATS WHAT MOST COMMERCIAL FISHER MEN CATCH AND SELL SO WE ALL HAVE PROBALY EATEN CARP WHEN WE EAT THOSE FISH STICKS.THE ASIAN CARP IS PROBLY GOOD TO EAT EVERY ONE THIGHT THE RED DRUM WAS A TRASH FISH FOR A LONG TIME UNTIL THE 80'S NOW EVERY BODY GOES AFTER THEM.

8. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    In some countries like England I think the carp is a prized fish while a largemouth bass would be a trash fish. Sounds funny doesnt it?

9. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yea thats wierd. I usually throw my largemouth back though.. even though theyre pretty good...

And those damn silver carp are too hard to catch! Ill never be able to try one. lol