About Quantum Big Cat Rods?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by TNVOLCAT, Dec 7, 2005.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Was Wondering If The Zebco Big Cat Rod That Catfish Connection Sells Is Actually The Quantum Big Cat Rod? Looks Like The Same Rod In The Picture As The One On Quantum's Website. And Same Model# Also. Thanks For Any Info In Advance!

2. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes It is, be carefull if it has a tip that does not have a ceramic insert, the old big cat rods did not and they were bad at getting groves in them and cutting line..I had my tips replaced.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can never go wrong w/ a Big Cat rod.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with Bryan, if I had only 1 rod to chose from it would be a bigcat, in m/h and heavy action...They made a big improvement in them a couple years ago with much stronger and better giudes.

6. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Would the H action be too much for lets say, a 5lb channel? I want to target big cats, but I'd like to also catch the smaller, eater sized fish. Im thinking about just going with the MH and if I get a big one, play it out, and hope it holds up.

I'll be pairing either one with an Aby\u 6500 TC (Not the catfish master, I heard they had drag problems. Can anybody put some truth to this for me please? :confused: ) And I'll round it off with 20# cajun. I had origininally planned to rig it up with snelled 8/0 king khales, but Im worried that they may be too much for the smaller fish per say. Will a good ol' 6/0 khale hold me over for both big and small fish?

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    The Quantums are great rods. I have the Heavy rods I use for flats and blues. But you can get away with a mh rod for just about everything.

8. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Ok thanks. We have everything a flathead would eat here, even bullheads, but no flatheads :( I really wish we did though, that would be some awesome fishing.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got the medium heavy Quantum Bigcat. I've used the heavy, and don't feel it's necessary unless you're going to be fishing in a situation where you have to really go toe-to-toe to keep it out of snags, or pull against a stiff current.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Abu reels, bigcat rods, 8/0 gamakatsu circle hooks, and 5/0 no roll sinkers, with Berkly 30-lb biggame line.

11. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC

sounds like a bang up combo, but will it also allow the little eater sized ones to be caught as well?

12. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    You can just down size your hook and sinkers.

13. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    what about the line though? I want the most capacity out of my reel as I can get with the heaviest line I can. I had originally planned to use a H Big cat, abu 6500 TCCF, 30lb cajun, 3-4oz egg's, 8/0 king khales.

This is before I decided that if the big cat big was slow, and thats the only rig I brought, I would be SOL. So, I downsized to MH Big cat, 6500 TC, 20lb cajun, and 6/0 king khales, still 3oz eggs though.

The 6500 TCCM only holds 245yrds of 14lb line. If I loaded 30lb on there and wanted to make a 70 yard cast and hooked into a big one, I have near to no line left to which I can fight the fish with. But, if I down size, I can use the drag and really play the fish out nice and slow, just more worries.

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    you could always go with a braided line. smaller dia. for the test.

15. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Use braid. problem solved ;)

16. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Braid always burns the hell out of my thumb. And it always comes out of the water frayed and chewed up. I hooked into a little 5lb bass with some spiderwire fusion and the line was as frayed as a peice of thread with a razor blade shaving it. I tried some of that spiderwire stealth on a penn 209. It came un wravled and left a nasty green residue on my fingers, as well as many burn marks.

Unless there's a magic braid out there that wont do that, and actually has knot stregnth and abrasion resistance, Im mono all the way.

17. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I have used the same Sp. wire for over two years, I've never had this problem you mention. Try the original. I really like this line. Been fishin' mostly for Bass:eek: with it and have had it in some nasty wooded cover with nice size fish on and never had it brake or fray. I have had it come undone at the knot. That's my fault not the line.

18. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Why do people get so ashamed about bass fishing? They're my number 1 favorite fish followed by carp and then cats.

I'll give the original a try, perhaps. I dont want to waste all that money to throw it away again though.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've bought an ABU 6500 for its long distance casting ability. Unfortunately, the line capacity is so small that with 30# mono, I could cast almost all the line off the reel. I switched to 17# diameter PowerPro, and I can still cast over half the line out. As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to respool with a smaller diameter line. And since you're planning on using the reel at times for big cats, you should plan on replacing the drag washers before you ever bother putting line on the reel. When fishing in the swift water below a powerhouse, I couldn't tighten the drag enough to pull in a 10# blue cat, even though I had it up on top of the water; I had to add extra drag with my thumb. I have to admit that it's a really nice, smooth reel in lighter applications, though.

20. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I've fished with spiderwire the first half of this tear with the same results you mentioned. Fraying and it turned out flat, more like a ribbon and it really bothered me for the price i paid for it. The second half of this year i've been using powerpro. Its still round, and i've yet to see any fraying like with the spiderwire. Just ordered a 1500 yrd spool to put icing on a few christmas presents........... ;)