about Hypothermia

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by drpepper, Oct 28, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fell thru the ice up to my shoulders a few years ago. Luckly, I was near my house. I plan doin' alot of cold weather fishin' this year and I came across this read. I'd say I've been into stage two Hypothermia a few times -at least- but didn't recognize it... If you plan on fishin' this winter, ya outta read this.
    I wouldn't mind dying on the river when my time comes, but I'd prefer to do it in warm weather, whilst reeling in a PB flathead!:wink:​

This is a C&P from Jerry Dennis

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66576
    Things to know about Hypothermia.

An average of 600 people in the US die from Hypothermia each year. The highest percentage of which are recreational outdoorsmen (hunter, fishers, hikers, campers). It doesn’t have to be freezing temperatures for Hypothermia to take effect. Most reported Hypothermia cases occur between 30 & 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Hypothermia is caused by the cooling of the core body temperature. Wet & windy conditions as well as fatigue contribute Hypothermia occurring. Hypothermia can be recognized by shivering , slowness of pace, clumsiness, disorientation, muscle un-coordination, and irrational behavior.

Some of the causes of Hypothermia one encounter are: Being stranded un prepared for dropping temperatures, Being dunked into cold water, Loss of heat source or shelter, etc.

3 Stages of Hypothermia

Stage 1
    The normal core temperature in humans is 98.6 degrees F. A core temperature drop to between 96.8 & 95 degrees F places a person in Stage 1 Hypothermia. Hands become numb & unable to perform complex task (tying knots etc). Quick & shallow breathing begin. Chill bumps raise hair to try insulate the body. As the core temperature continues to drop a person often may feel as if they are warming up, but they are actually heading into stage 2. Try touching your thumb to your little finger, if you can’t you are headed into stage 2.

Stage 2
    A core temperature drop to between 95 & 91.4 degrees F places a person in Stage 2 Hypothermia. Uncontrollable shivering starts. Muscle un-coordination becomes apparent & motor skills are slow. Disorientation sets in & lips, ears, fingers, & toes may become blues.

Stage 3
    A core temperature drop to below 90 degrees F places a person in Stage 3 Hypothermia. The shivering stops. Confusion , stumbling, & difficulty speaking occur. When the core temp drops below 86 degrees F skin turns blue and walking is near impossible. Major organs start to shut down & clinical death occurs.

Treatment consist of sheltering and warming the core temperature slowly. Dry off as soon as possible because water conducts heat away from the body 25 times faster than air. Dry blankets insulate the body but want produce heat , a heat source must be added (heat from another person, warm drinks, hand warmers). If stages of Hypothermia continue to climb seek medical attention quickly. If a person is clinically dead continue to seek help , there have been cases where hypothermic victims have been clinically dead for up to 2 hours then revived with medical help.

Prevention consist of being prepared for sudden drops in temperature. Multiple heat sources readily available. Properly layered clothing (cotton clothing in not a good choice as it retains water). Take notice of temperature forecast before your outing and add in the wind chill factor then plan on a lower temperature. A 20 mph wind change can cause a 20 degree drop in the temperature. Keep an extra set of dry clothes near by ( in camp, vehicle, water tight pack). Plan ahead for condition changes, quick retreats to shelter, and medical assistance.

Fishermen keep in mind that in America 4000 people die each year from drowning and it is not known how many of these drownings are caused by Hypothermia.

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    When I was in the Marines and we would be on the ship doing work ups or going out on a west pac in the pacific ocean they would tell you if you fell off the boat or a pilot had to eject you had around three or four hours before you would die from hypothermia. Any body that swims in the pacific knows its cold especially off of california.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the post. Been there (stage 2) and it isn't fun. Don't want to see stage 3. I was out of the water and in a truck in about 5 min. Bad enough as it was!!

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the post and reps to you

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill thanks for the informative post. Appreciated. Reps to you.

6. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    i fished in 7 degree temps once the boat was froze to the trailer that morning. I caught 400 skip jacks that day never did get cold :smile2:

7. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    thanks for the info DP.. remind me if i fish with you this winter, to bring extra clothes.. that are dry, and plenty of blankets..:eek:oooh: fire wood would be good too:smile2:... dam it was cold at the gravel pit the other night without a good fire!

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bet it was even colder when you got home that night lol

9. kyleco55

State:
    Central In

you mean the sleeping on the porch the rest of the week??:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:.. yup sure was!!:smile2::smile2:

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    Stage 3
    Confusion , stumbling, & difficulty speaking occur and walking is near impossible. Major organs start to shut down & clinical death is near

i been there a few times but it was summer?:cool2::eek:oooh: i think i was fishing with jack jack danials.lol

11. kyleco55

State:
    Central In

:smile2: i was thinking about that one too..

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wow.. i have been so close to stage three so many times.....

13. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    :wink:heres a pic of that day the boat was froze to the trailer. Had to throw buckets of water on steering cable to unfreeze it. And had to becareful that the water pump was pumping lol.. Are reels anchor ropes and rod holder all froze. Tons of fun that day at the warm water plant in TENN so many skips gulls and eagles it was great.

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      76.4 KB
      Views:
  14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Very informative post Bill. Thanks for the info. Be careful out there this winter!!

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Been close to three a couple of times I learned to keep a extra set of clothes with me a long time ago:roll_eyes:

16. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I normally don't fish the winter months, but a set of insulators coveralls & boots sounds good!!!:wink::wink::wink: