Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've got 2 6500's, one 5000 and a 2500 and the 5000 and 2500 don't have clickers. Compared to the hand in the photo that reel looks awful small. My 2500 is green and 5000 is red if that matters.

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
That dawg will get easier to get in place the more times you do it. BE CAREFUL not to bend the copper wings. Abu has never had a clicker in the star drag. I do like that feature on my Penns though.

Ryan, I don’t think they are looking at the cast button. There is a decal that goes around the edge of the side caps. On the left cap where the slide button for the clicker should be, that decal is curled up making it look like a button is there.

Five main issues when not used to working on an Abu.
1. “C” clips flying into never never land. Put a sandwich bag over the reel and use a tiny screw driver to un-clip it. Saves time and parts.

2. Getting the dawg, anti-reverse put into place. Try putting the dawg on the gear, then slowly lower the gear over the axle while fitting the dawg on it’s post.

3. When putting the right side cap on, hold the reel frame so the spool and spindle are pointing up. Make sure casting brakes are setting inward. Then press the release button and place the side cap on. It should fit solidly into place with a little giggling. NO forcing.

4. Always loosen or remove the casting drag knob before tightening the cap screws down. Then adjust the casting drag.

5. There are two spring washers under the handle that give you a little adjustment variance with your star drag. These spring washers need to be positioned correctly. Like musical cymbals. (Hope spell check got that right). Like one cereal bowl set upside down on another.

I have been stuck in the house too long. Causes rambling.

again, great buy. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I really appreciate the time gentlemen. I have the carbon drag washer coming. I have done a quick clean and lube, works great except for the very weak drag. I will do a more thorough cleaning once I install the carbon washers. As well as buying a better grease the generic Bass pro grease I have.

·
Registered
219 Posts
O yeah Tom I kinda see it now. But I don’t use grease when I assemble my reels back together. I don’t know if it makes a difference but I just use a reel oil. To me the grease uses friction so I think it makes the reel work harder to do a cast. So I put oil so it’s less resistance for the gears. That’s my thought but weather it’s right I have no clue.

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
Oil will work but on gears, grease is better. I also spread a very light coating of grease that covers the inside of the side caps and most inner parts. But am careful not to get it around the drag disks. A very light coat will protect against corrosion and if any dirt or sand gets inside hopefully it will stick to the light grease and not get into any moving parts.

Abu reels are not known for a super strong drag at about 15 pounds but they will sure catch and land fish.

last note. Be sure to loosen the star drag when you are not fishing. Constant pressure will weaken those spring washers under the handle.

tight lines

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah that is true about the drags in Abu’s the, I have been known to get a little bit more drag out of them old reels. I was finally able to get my red Abu 5000 averaging 20 lbs in the lil reel an I still have my old 6000 making if I remember 24 lbs averaging.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Be careful "beefing" up the max drag pressure...companies typically design a reels max drag so the weakest point in the reel won't break when there's a max load on the reel...besides a 15lb drag will land fish bigger then you think...plus you can always thumb the spool for a little extra pressure when needed...

·
Registered
219 Posts
its ok what I do doesn’t hurt the reels. I just use the carbon drag washers an I polish the steel washers to a mirror with 4000 grit steel wool. I did it to my fiancé’s walmart lees ixfinity spinning reel an she got 4 more lbs of drag out of it an I did call abu asking about the 6000 an they assured me it was totally capable of handling it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I grease all my drag washers maybe its wrong who knows. hell if I know but works good though caught a nice speckled trout on 4600? with light line on a probably 40 year old buggy whip pistol grip $5 ugly stick made several good runs

however caught a monster oversize red with a Fathom and they (I am assuming) probably come from the factory ungreased like most reels

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
724 Posts
At $10.50, that was a steal.
They evidently didn't know what they had.
I love people like that.

Reactions: SteveMcK
21 - 32 of 32 Posts