About Fish Oil Extraction

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by lil kat, Jul 25, 2006.

1. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am a newer member here and have read alot of good stuff and am currntly tring some of it. I did read on here away to extract the oil from shad and sounds like a good thing to me because i do use alot of whole and cut shad for bait. what i am wondering is how many shad do you need to do this right and, should i keep the cooler with the drain in it out of the sun so as not to let the shad start spoiling or turning rotten? ​

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

i have tried this with limited success. I used 2 dozen shad and was in the garage so when I try next time it wwill be in the yard and two dozen shad to compare quanities. I have used Loopers hair rig to dip into the extact just playing around and caught fish but I think I will mix it into a dough bait next time.

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Howd did you extract the oil, could you give us some steps?

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    First off, WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!! then second, I have absolutely no idea about extracting fish oil...but I'm sure there's an article or two about it in the library. And if all else fails, somebody will answer your question sooner or later. Good luck, and tight lines.

-Red

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I followed the directions in the BOC library and it was a simple process off of the top of my head it was place a layer of shad add a layer of salt and repeat as many times as you would like then place the cooler on a slight angle I went about 4-5 inches open the drain plug and wait I went about 40 hours and did get some oil. I think more shad and time would be better but I just wanted to try it out.

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144

Ok I looked through it and it seems easy enough. Ill have to try that sometime. Any idea if old frozen shad would work? I have several bags of frozen leftover shad from a few months back that dont work well.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Welcome aboard the best cat site their is. I would try grinding then purying shad into a smoothe dip bait, then trying to get oil out.

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC. I haven't tried to get fish oil out, what I did was go to the drug store and bought a quart of Cod Liver Oil and put it on my cut bait. I have been using it and seems to be working fine. I have froze the cut bait several times and it just seems to be getting better and better. I do have to get some more cut bait to add to the concoction. The bad thing is the CLO costs about eight bucks for a quart but will last a couple of years so that isn't bad at all.