??? about catfishin a lake thats really shallow

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bsites9, Jul 2, 2009.

1. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    Went fishin last night at Shenandoah Lake, in Harrisonburg, Va. Anyway, the lake is about 30 acres, and really shallow, about 75% of it is about 5-6 feet deep. The end where the dam is, is about 25 ft. deep, but REALLY hard to get to.

so anyway, my question is, are the cats going to be in the shallow water? There's a TON of moss over most of the lake, growing up from the bottom, and floatin on the top. We didn't catch a single cat, and we were using livers, and cut up perch. I can't believe every cat in the lake is in that small part where its deep. What do you guys think?

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    is there any structure you can see? Is there a sharp drop between shallows and the depths. They will be there. Did you fish at night or day. Is there a feeder?

3. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va

Ok, not much structure, if any. Imagine the lake at a T almost. The long part of the T, and the left part of the crossbar are all shallow. No depths there at all, and the right part of the cross, is deeper. The shallows and depths aren't mixed in, thats why theres SO MUCH moss and stuff growing in most of the lake. We started at about 7:00, and fished til about 9:30 (in the evening), and as far as i know, there aren't any feeders. Its a man-made lake. Thanks for the reply, anxious to see what help you can give.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    forget that place ask around in the local forums they will tell you were to go bro

5. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    try around where the T crosses. not too deep not too shallow somewhere in between. As night comes they tend to come into shallower water to feed on bait fish. You can also try to catch gills and the cats should not be far from a group of gills.

6. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    You may try a slip bobber set at a depth about a foot or two above the bottom. With the weather heating up the channels will sometimes suspend over the grass and feed in the shallower lakes.

7. wisker getter

wisker getter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Byron
    I too fish a shallow manmade lake thats mixed with deep holes but mostly shallow, 2 1/2 to 4 feet deep.
    I'am in no way an expert in catfishing but, what has worked for me might help ya.
    Like Matt posted try various depths,deeper earlier in the day progressing to shallower in the eveving and of course any kind of structure ,rock piles, logs, etc.
    The lake I fish has a fairly good river flowing into it(pleanty of fish caught throughout) so I know they are here. just where and when is the question.
    Most of my luck has come early in the evening in the shallows (with crawlers and live bluegills, some luck with chicken livers, but with the livers I also get turtles), you didn't say if you were fishing from the bank or a boat,I fish from a boat, so it might be a little different for me than you.
    I've also had some luck where the river starts to form the lake,
    there is a bend right before this area and I usally start here and then work my way into the lake itself.
    I hope this might help
    Catch a big en and tells us about it.
    thanx
    Wisker Getter

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well its either delayed spawn, wrong bait, or wrong area. If theres any way you could get to the dam from a boat and a buddy is near hopefully yall could run up there in a boat. Right now deep holes would probably work best. Again may need to switch up the bait too. AJ

9. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
  10. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va

hey man, thanks a lot for the link. i had no idea that the website posted those depth maps. i knew MOSTLY where the deeper areas were, but not exactly. i'll have to get onto that southern side and give it a try.