? about a 14 ft flat bottom boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kycatman01, May 5, 2009.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just bought a 1991 Grumman 14 ft. flat bottom Jon boat. I came with a 8.0 hp Johnson motor and a 36 lb thrust Minnkota trolling motor. I was just wondering if anyone knew the weight capacity. Does anyone have any info??

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    There should be a tag rivoted in it somewhere that stated max. Hp & weight limits. If not, i'ld say 3 adults.

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I looked and couldn't find the weight limit. I was thinking 600 lbs. What do you think?

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    their should be a capacity plate somewhere on the boat, if not i'm sure on the grunman web site you find some info

5. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    We had a 15 footer and it was a 3 person capacity, and a hp limit of 25, hope you enjoy your like we enjoyed ours.Ours was a sea marine

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Grumman doesn't give any specs on their website, but here's some for a Lowe 1436:
    675# total weight capacity
    350# max person capacity--max 3 people
    20hp max hp

7. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    3 peop[le and 650 lbs sounds about right. Congrats on the new boat

8. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks alot, guys!!!!!!!!!

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    If your capacity plate is missing in Kansas, this formula is what they use to determine it.

Boat length X Boat Width divided by 15

They don't say if that is floor width or the beam.

Either way this formula comes out with more people than the capacity plate does. My capacity plate says 4 people. But using this formula it comes out to 8 people if you use the beam and 7 if you use the floor width.

10. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I think as long as you can still get on plane, you're safe to say you're under the weight limit! Haha I but seriously I would match your dimensions with a Lowe 14' and just stick a little under it to be safe. Besides, in my experience when you get near max capacity the boat becomes very unstable for those jon boats.

Also it makes a difference if the boat is welded or riveted, as the welded boats weigh a good amount more due to thickened aluminum. Although my welded 1436 Weldbilt has a gross capacity of at least 675lbs.