Aberdeen Hot Water Discharge

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RMXmitch, Feb 22, 2006.

1. RMXmitch

RMXmitch New Member

State:
    x
    I Have been hearing alot of talk about this place for skips.
    It you got any information reguarding aberdeen post it on here: location, lures, spots.....

Thanks

2. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Mitch,
    3 miles east of Aberdeen on US 52. At the Adams Co. sign, concrete parking lot on your right. Left back corner of lot - follow trail down to mouth of Little 3 Mile Creek. I have been using crappie jigs, white mister twister, etc. Fishing is best when they are generating power (mist rising off water). If you don't get any bites, keep trying. They tend to school running in a big circle out into the River. Good Luck!

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This place had been advetised so much on different forums, I hear it is always packed with people, and hard to get a spot to fish.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yep, same here. i thought about it, but its such a long drive to take a chance. heck, ive got tons of shad anyways.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Has anybody been there having any luck? How big is this creek? Can you get to this area with a boat?

6. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    duxsrus,
    From Aberdeen boat ramp, about 3 miles upstream on your left right before the power plant...can't miss it. After the metal wall, depth drops to 5'. It gets a little shallower on back. You can go most of the way back by boat. Once you get back to the boils, navigation gets tricky in that current so be very careful. This was with noaa reporting river level at 34' (normal stage) at Maysville. For anyone that doesn't know where to check river levels:
    http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=iln&gage=mysk2&view=1,1,1,1,1,1

7. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I've gotten them at Meldahl Dam with mixed results. I've been by that parking lot. When do they usually start hitting there? I need to stock up.

8. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Hey Catbird that was some good information .............THANKS

9. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Mitch I live in colerain twship.Maybe we could get together and go to the aberdeen hot water discharge and get some .

10. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Mike,
    they have been hitting on and off all winter.

11. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Well if it was not standing room only before it will be now:rolleyes:

12. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I'm off on Thursdays and Sundays if anyone wants to go.

13. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    I grew up in Adams County and ran around in the Manchester, Aberdeen, and Ripley areas. Unfortunately, I didn't wake up to catfishing or hunting before I moved away. The last time I spoke to my mother, who is still in the area, she made mention of hard economic times because of layoffs at the power plant. :confused: I'll ask for specifics next time I speak to her. I hope they are not planning to close the power plant.

What about other power plants? There's one on the Great Miami River south of Miamisburg in Chautauqua. The discharge area is about 1/2 mile or so upstream from the low dam there. I've been more than a little hesitant to use my canoe to get there, and the grounds have been marked no tresspassing by the power plant. I've gotten better with the canoe, so maybe it's time to give the area a try. What do you think?

Spencer

14. Creek_Chub

Creek_Chub New Member

State:
    Loveland, Ohio

I work at the power plant in New Richmond. I have never caught bait around the discharge flume myself but I can tell you we clean out literally hundreds of shad and jacks off our intake screens daily. The only bad thing is you need a boat to get behind the plant.
    I seen alot of average size catfish caught while sittin out on the back porch. It is a fairly popular place to fish from what I see. But again I have never tried it. Hope that helps.