Aberdeen Discharge, Ohio River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Doctor, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Met up with Catbird at the discharge, him in his boat and I in mine, good flow coming out but nothing and I mean nothin, had a good one on that dumped the jig and that was it, fished from 8:30am till 3pm when I gave up to defeat, Man I think thats the first time I have gotten the Pepa la Pew at that discharge, gorgeous day, at times it got cool in the morning but as the afternoon wore on it got really nice, weatherman said that it would be cloudy in the afternoon but all we saw was blue Sky's, I left the ramp around 3:30 and saw Catbird headed down river to some spots, Dale it was a pleasure meeting you on the boat, hopefully we can do it again and with better results, even the guys from the shore weren't hooking anything up...............Doc

Attached Files:

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    great pics Doc, thats hard to believe that you got skunked

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no doubt the high pressure that moved in last night that shut everything down.

4. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Tim, it was great meeting you down at the discharge.

I didn't have any luck with the skipjacks either. I did catch a mixture of 5 white bass and/or hybrids. Like Tim said, I went on down river all the way to Riply. I did find 2 large holes that went to 58-60 ft. deep but didn't mark anything that looked like cats. I ended up fishing a shallower hole that was 45 ft. deep with the surrounding area 30 ft.. I did get one bite. It was with a shad gut pocket on an 8/0 circle hook. He bent the pole halfway to the water then dropped the bait. Never touched it after that. It was getting around 6:pM. After 10.5 hrs. of fishing I decided to call it a day also.

I forgot to mention that Tim has one very fine looking boat. Give me a hollar next time you are heading to the river and we can try it again.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Wish I knew you guys were meeting up there, I'd have ran over there. We tried fishing some other power plants on the river but none had any hot water. So we gots a skunkin too.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Now all you have to do is get to the Gathering in May Doc and Dale:)

Hey Dale when you said that it didnt look like Cats do they look different on the finder?

7. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Ryan,
    I was just making and educated guess (hopefully) going by size of arcs and where they were in the water column for this time of year. With the water temp at 39 degrees, the bites I have been getting and the couple of cats I have caught, they seem to be around 3-5 ft. off the bottem. Any other fish I have tried to catch this winter, this area is the only bites I have got. DH explained to me once that fish without scales make a different kind of arc but i forgot what he said...lol

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for the info Dale hopefully I can get a boat and find out some of this stuff :)

9. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I got skunked as far as cat go today doc but did get about 12 skipjack around 12 to 14 inch for the freezer and 10 wipers but no size to them.The wind was killer out there hard to hold bottom.Going to the James river in april for a week hope to get some nice cats there.

10. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    JWFish,
    Good deal at least you got some, Dale and I threw well over a hundred times and I had one on at one time till he went airborne on me, amazing fish that can flip a jig at you even when you keep a tight line on them.

Hey Dale, your rig is pretty awesome too, I like the bigger boats, be honest with you yours is the only Smokercarft I have ever seen on the Ohio besides my sons Stinger. There a great boat till you get 2-3 foot waves then they will pound you to death.

I worked on mine today installed the powerbubbles air pumps in it to run the 2-60 gallon Livewells, wired them into the ACC switch on the dash, nothing else was on that switch so took advantage of it, the one thing that I really like about the Millentia series is the 2 inch tubes that run under the gunnels for putting wires and stuff in those are really nice as it keeps everything contained and not hanging down, easy to get wires from the rear to the front of the boat..............Doc

11. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    That's funny Doc, I was working on my boat also. First I was going to install the Keelshield I won on here (very nice loooking product). The directions said a minimum of 70 degrees (gonna be a couple of months here). I did install the optional atmospheric pressure sensor that came with my Hummingbird Matrix. Pretty simple job. I never think to look at pressures before I go or after I get home. Now I if the fish aren't biting...I can blame it on the pressure...lol Seriously, it will be nice to see what the pressure is doing before, during, and after a good fishing session.

12. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Dale,

What Matrix you got on board I have the 67, great unit the mapping is awesome, just now getting the depthfinder to show as well as the Lowrance..........Doc

13. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Dale,

What Matrix you got on board I have the 67, great unit the mapping is awesome, just now getting the depthfinder to show as well as the Lowrance..........Doc

14. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Doc,
    I have the Matrix 37 w/ the quad transducer. It does pretty good showing structure/fish. I got it last summer and now I am starting to understand it a lot better. It does pretty good for what I want it to do. I have an older Lowrance that came with the boat but it has lower pixels. They both show structure but the lowrance is not as plain. Very seldom do they show the same fish though. Do you know if running both at the same time causes any false readings?

15. firecat

firecat New Member

State:
    OHIO Go Bucks
    Sometimes I think that I am going crazy

16. firecat

firecat New Member

State:
    OHIO Go Bucks
    Yeah #10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    No false reading from mine got the whole back of the boat covered the 4 blues that I caught Friday all were marked with the Humminbird so I'm getting to trust it like the Lowrance. I use the Humminbird mainly for the GPS and the mapping, the Lowrance has gps but not the mapping I like where I can see my next spot is on the river and how far it is to travel to it if I have been there before.

Larry whats going on with all the posts Josh on the puter there son.......lol

18. firecat

firecat New Member

State:
    OHIO Go Bucks
    Had to put in 10 posts so I could look at the pictures.

19. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    hey fellas i live up here about 20 mins from aberdeen in west union (adams county) and i fish at the power plant there on 52 a lot...D.P&L at the hotwaters and u guys need to pm me and we will go down there one day and land some big ones i know a few honey holes there!!!!!:rolleyes: