Aberdeen 5 Dec

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by ohio hilljack, Dec 6, 2009.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Drew and I went down to Aberdeen to try out the boat after drowning a couple of spark plugs in water on Saturday in Gallipolis. Didn't take us long to figure out the boats still broke,blowed headgasket.
    Hour and a half drive is too far to go then just turn around and go home, so we fished. Went as far as the trolling motor would get us upstream, about 400 yards. Yep you guessed it ,didn't charge the trolling motor batteries all the way back up. Drew drift fished on the way up as we were barely caught 3 channels and a blue before we ever anchored. Parked close to the bank so we could fish the structure up on the bank as well as throwing a couple poles toward the middle. I pulled several small channels off the bank and Drew got a 7 pound blue in the deeper water. Didn't figure we were close enough to the deeper ledge so we coaxed the trolling motor out to the sailing line bouy. Cast as far as we could toward the middle, Drew was casting his second pole when his first on smashed down. 25 pound blue, had to drag it to the boat against the current never hardly put up a fight. We were pretty excited about the possibility of getting on a bunch of blues then the barges started coming. They had it timed so that they would cross right in front of us, so we had to move,and we could not do it very quickly.
    Pretty much drained us of all ambition to go to the middle of the river so we slowly fished our way back to the ramp staying as far out in the river as we dared.
    Ended up catching 22 fish the 25 pounder being the biggest but we also got a 22 and four in the teens. Camera was like the boat batteries ,dead. It was a great trip even with a broken boat.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good job Willard, your day on a broken boat is better than any day on my running boat in the past year....lol.....Glad you got out and caught some fish, I am gonna need those coordinates!:wink:

3. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    HHmmmm................. What were you using for bait. Let me get this straight, you were only 400yds from the aberdeen ramp???

4. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Dudes, I was 400 yds on the ramp side just above the mouth of the marina about 200 yards. We used cut shad and threw toward the middle as far as we could,and I think if we had been able to get out farther we would have really been on them.

5. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thats sweet man, Its funny that you can stumble upon fish like that. Its teachin me a lil something though because i know the area your talkin bout and I would have never thought that would have a good spot. Just doesnt look fishy to me. So you were pretty much close to being under the bridge?? or just upstream from it. I hate to pry on your fishin spot. More than anything I would like to check out the graph and see what the bottom is like to see what there being attracted to!! Ive always thought it was just a nothing flat bottom type bank. If thats true maybe thats what Ive been doing wrong all along:embarassed:

6. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    One little ledge nothing else, the current wasn't up so it never should have happened like that but it did. Thats what I love about fishing you just never know.