Abbott & Costello at Lake Monticello 10/16/08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Patmansc, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Not really, just me & Pop Pop :smile2: Thought that we might try and see what havoc we could wreak amongst the reknown Monticello blues!!!! In spite of ourselves, we were able to bring 18 cats to the boat: 3 channels (Including one of the UGLIEST channels you've ever seen - had a big 'ole head but a body like a snake or an eel. Should'a weighed around 3# - 4# but was less than 1# - was real creepy looking.) The biggest were 13# & 10#, and the rest were dinks. We fished (drifted) in the big water, and a few other places from between 35' - 70', using shrimp, shad, and a few of Pop Pop's cigarette butts dipped in Jiff peanut butter. It was a beautiful day: at times we used a single drift sock, sometimes 2, and at times had to use the trolling motor. Many thanks to steve_b124, who met us at the ramp with the shad. It was great to meet him (and his brother-in-law), and we kept in touch on the water with phone reports while he was on the water. He had to leave early, while Pop Pop & I fished until dark. I left home this morning at 4:15am, and got back at 10:45pm. What a day!!

Attached Files:

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Very nice! I have been skunked on that lake so many times that any fish in the boat is good! Let me know when ya'll go I'll come out too!

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Sounds like a plan! We'll overwhelm 'em with numbers :big_smile:

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Pat, I really enjoyed it my friend. :big_smile: Great fishing with a great friend with great weather. What more could a guy want. Maybe a cold case of Man colas.:smile2: I did make a new friend this day as Pat's dog "Buddy" decided I was somebody he liked:big_smile:. Buddy dog spent the day loving on Ol' Pop Pop!

Buddy, We might take Pat next time we go!:smile2:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like y'all had a real good time! Nothin' like good friends, good weather, and good fishin'!
    Bill in SC

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Pat I know the kinda fish your talking about. I've caught two of them deformed looking critters in wylie. Long skinny body like a snake with a huge head. Also saw a guy with one like that that had real big lips (yeah lips) and a big ball shape in the middle of its body. We called it the humpy fish. I wish I'd taken a picture of that one.

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Terry, Pat and I both caught one.:eek:oooh: They looked like starving ells with cat heads on'em:eek:oooh: They where both channels that were skin and bones! I put a piece of bait in there mouths an let'em go. The darnest cat I've ever seen and totally wierd!:eek:oooh::tounge_out::eek:oooh:

8. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Good morning everybody. I had to wait till I got to work this morning to post, my oldest girl took my laptop to college with her so I'm 'puterless at home. What a blast we had Thursday. I got to meet Pop pop and Patmansc for the first time. A great couple of guys indeed, but I will say that Pat's dog Buddy was the best looking one in the boat. Not to mention the distinct odor of shrimp coming from Pat!

Thursday was a day of laughs and of tears. The tears came after letting what would have been a new personal best (estimated 60 - 65lbs) make a dive under the boat and apparently hit the prop and break my leader. All of this after a good 10 minute fight. Oh well, another day will come! We only managed to boat 8 fish till we had to leave early. The biggest was only 4 pounds. We too drifted shad and herring. Caught fish from 40 feet to 90 feet deep. The big boy came as we drifted from a 60 foot hole coming up on a 40 foot hump.

The laughs came as we were leaving. My brother in law was inpatient as I let the boat ease towards the dock and jumped from the boat to the dock. He missed. Missed a twenty foot wide dock entirely. He wasn't even close. Did I mention that he doesn't swim? If I had only have recorded the look on his face when he realized that he was going in! I'm still laughing. I always said he wouldn't weigh a 120 pounds soaking wet, now I know! Made him ride home on a boat cushion.

Pat and Pop pop, I enjoyed it brothers. Hope we get to fish around each other many times to come! I will either marinate me some shrimp or stay upwind! And Pop pop, please keep the hat on, the glare is terrible!

God Bless All,
    Steve

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great time. Congrats and good luck in the future

10. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Oops, I made a mistake. We only boated 6 fish Thursday. The other 2 must have been wishful thinking. :roll_eyes: Oh the one that got away...... :eek:oooh:

God Bless All,
    Steve