Abandoned/untended trot lines

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by gadzooks, Jul 24, 2006.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    In Texas, trotlines are supposed to be tagged with the name/address of the owner and the date put into place. The name/date is good for 30 days. Nothing gets my goat when I'm drift fishing than to hang up on a trot line run across a channel or the river, with no tags on it and no indication its been run in months, if not years. It really ticks me off when the line is run across, rather than parallel to the channel. Around these parts, most who run trotlines on a regular basis don't run them across the channels, or at least not all the way across.

My policy is to cut into bits unmarked or abandoned trotlines, especially if running across channels or river beds if I hang up on them. How about you guys?

2. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I do the same, if its not marked and obiousley not in use, I get rid of 'em.. they're just more junk to get hung up on.

3. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I personally don't mess around with them. They are not mine, they belong to someone else. I may mark one like that to keep myself from running into it again, or even mention it to a Game Warden when I see one. That is part of game, and fish people's job here. I tend my lines, and let others alone, and I have found that to be good policy IMHO. Good fishin', Jack.

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    What lakes in Texas do you fish? I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and fish mostly Grapevine and Lewisville. I havnt had much problems in fact I cant remember the last time I hung up on someones abandoned trotlines. We stopped using trotlines because they take a ton more effort than anchored jugs. And our jug meet all requirements, gear tags, white colored, and no more than 5 hooks, dated, and check atleast every 12 hours while they are out. The people close to my area appear to follow the rules pretty well.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Mostly, I fish Lake Houston. But, I've run into the problem on Conroe, Livingston, Rayburn and a few other places. If the hooks are fresh and the line doesn't interfere with drifting, I leave it alone. If its marked and current, I leave it alone. But unmarked, running across a channel, and especially with hooks rusted or crusted up, it gets taken out. With so few fish and game people here in Texas, they don't have time to worry about abandoned trot lines and most of these you don't see until you hang up on them. Its just more trash. I agree juglines, anchored or floating are much easier to tend and people don't seem to forget them, takes more money or time invested for them.