Abandoned boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by trad_archer, Oct 23, 2005.

1. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Any boby know how to clain an abandoned boat? I have a friend who went out of buisness as a boat mechanic and he has two boats unclaimed and have been sitting there for six years. The storage fees are more than the boats are worth. He gave me the boats. What would i have to do to be able to claim these boats legally? Someone said i had to run ad's in local papers for three weeks or something, any ideas? Thanks....shane

2. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Check with your dept of revenue, licencse. Its like getting a new title.

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    trad-archer, your friend the mechanic should have applied for what's called a "salvage title". This usually entails a certified letter being sent to the last known registered owner. That information can be obtained from the Department Of Revenue. First you should call your local law enforcement department and have an officer do what is called a "VIN verification" this is just to make sure that the "previous" owners have not reported the boats stolen / missing.

While the officer is conducting the VIN verification, he should be able to direct you in the right direction to obtain a title in your state.

Hope this helps, be patient, this process will take awhile... in missouri it can take anywhere from 6 months or longer.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've done it in NC before.
    Since the USCG tag with the model number, Vin number and weight capacities was in my possesion but not attached to the boat, it made it easier.
    Being that the tag was laying in the rotten mess of the floor there was no way to prove it was the actual tag for that boat.

I just had the guy that was in possession of the boat (it was on his land) writer me a bill of sale which stated he was giving me the boat and trailer plus any liability to property tax.

The wildlife commission issued a new Vin number, and the craft is specified as a 14 foot skiff. cost. $15.00 . And I did it without leaving home. Not a soul saw this boat or me.

There are alot of stolen boats out there who's current owner does not know that they are paying for a stolen boat.
    Above I stated how easy it was in NC and alot of states are no different but what makes boat theft lucrative is that there is no one system state to state that is used for registering purposes.
    Alot of stolen boats leave Florida every year to be sold all over the southern states and up into the midwest.
    Before you buy any used boat I'd trace the entire boat's history looking for descrepencies in paperwork. If the registration is moved from one state to another, that is your warning to slow down and really pay attention.

I'd hate to know I paid on a boat for 3 or 4 years only to have it seized as stolen property and me having to spend more money proving and explaining how it wasn't me that stole it.

5. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

the same method that mark j mentioned is also used in indiana and should
    work in your state also,i did it on a house boat a few years ago,but it did
    have to be checked by the dnr, it took the officer about 5 min,to check
    i remodeled it and sold it with no problems,title took about 6 weeks.
    KIRK :)

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    here is cali you have to pay a 35 dollar fee to dmv for the paper work then you send the paperwork in to them after you have sent out a registered letter to last known owner and you either recieve the title from them or then dont reply take 3 months by the time your done here it will run about 150 bucks and up depending on the value of the boat car etc. plus you pay any overdue tags and penaltys. but thats here.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    in oklahoma you just put a lein on it for the storage and file a title 42...contact your tag office - they will tell you what you need to do

8. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Thanks fellows, I'm not in a hurry but i guess I'll start at the court house tomorrow.....shane

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't forget the fact that you are now 'storing' the boat, and entitled to charge whatever fees you choose to set. If necessary, that would entitle you to file a lien against the boat to get a salvage title.

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    My father in law bought a house and I helped clean the place up for him and he gave me a boat that was left setting by the house.The owner of the house had died so I filed for the title and they sent a game warden to do and inspection and he filled out a form for me to turn in at the tax-title office which I did and got the boat put in my name with no problems.

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I just happened to pick up a abandoned boat myself yesterday. There has been this boat park next to a boat ramp next to my river for a week now. It really looked like someone's project that they gave up on and couldn't find anyone to buy it so they left it tie up in a small creek right next to the boat ramp. If it had stayed there any longer vandles would have filled it with bullet holes and or burned it. They look like they tried to replace the old pully steering system with something newer and just gave up and left it for someone to mess with. It's either 15 or 16 feet long and looks from somewhere in the sixties. It still had the motor a mercury outboard straight 6. I thought it kind of looked cool so we got a empty boat trailer and took it home. It has some cool lines to the boat with the tailfins in the back. It will give me something to tinker with. I need to look what exactly the salvage rights are here in Oklahoma because I was told there are no rights on salvaged boat on Oklahoma waterways. The boat has not been tagged since 97 and the boat has zero leaks and the motor doesn't seemed to be siezed up.

Attached Files:

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    very cool, chris - pm me and i will send you the name of someone that will take care of it for you