AAC getting lined . . . new canal fish-able?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by dhines, Mar 6, 2009.

1. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    just read an article in the IV press online, and they stated that they are pulling the fish out of the old AAC, but not putting it into the new lined AAC, as it won't be fished. WTF? apologies for the language, but that is new to me. someone please tell me that was just a typo on the part of the newspaper. will we be able to fish the lined AAC?

http://www.ivpressonline.com/articles/2009/03/06/local_news/news01.txt#blogcomments

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Most likely not.
    Once the canal is lined the sides will be steep and slick when wet so the irrigation district will restrict access to in order to limit liability.

3. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I agree with Tom for the most part. As far as I know this is currently being done as a result of water seepage loss that farmers in IV were using to irrigate their crops. I agree once this is finished in that area access will be restricted, however the AAC is quite long and starts from Imperial dam north of Yuma and runs through Imperial valley and Cochella valley, through Indio etc. and on to southern Ca. So far anyway the project only affects a rather small area considering how far the canal stretches. That does not rule out however that similar projects similar to it will not be undertaken in other areas considering the drought conditions, population growth, and irrigation demand for the forseeable future. For the time being at least there are other places that access is still available although the loss of bottom structure will have a negative impact on fishing. As long as the canal is fed by the Colorado river I think there will always be similar species in both waterways although probably not as plentiful or accessable.
    Tight lines.

:cool2:

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I expect it will end up like the Aqueduct that runs from the Delta to S. CA.
    Fences along most of it with designated fishing areas.

5. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i have been working in el centro since november, there are alot of smaller channels around the cannal that have the same amount of fishing as the AAC. not all is lost

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Wow Mikey long time no post lol I was wondering what happened to you?

7. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    although that is true, it still bothers me. how long until they start lining the other canals and blocking off our access?

8. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    just reviewed the lining project . . . happy to see that it stops at drop 3. but it makes me wonder how long until they take it past drop 3? as water becomes more and more valuable to the growing populations of CA, AZ and baja mexico, you have to think it will happen.

anyone lose any good fishing spots due to the lining? i am thinking about checking it out this weekend, and getting in some fishing in the leftover water in the old AAC. i am assuming there are still fish to be found there.

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    there is a thread about it on sdfish that has a picture of the section they drained. it's down to little pools and fish are dying now. picture taken east of gordens well and over weekend.
    gary

10. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    All isnt wasted with the lining of the AAC, the fish were transplanted into the local pond known as Sunbeam lake will be a good catch for the youngsters at the planned kids fishing derby on the 21st of March. Especially considering due to the current economy of the state and the low numbers of stocked trout this year it is being billed as a catfishing derby for the kids. Last year the catfish planted were in the 3-5 lb range and dang tasty.
    A little info on the AAC it does not run to Coachilla it actually runs along the mexican border not north to Coachilla the branch which heads north to Indio Cochilla area is the Cochella main it was lined years ago and still produces some fine catfish. As for great flathead and channle cat fishing hte head of ht AAC is excellent as well as area down by west of Yuma. the section of the main canals leading off of the AACV arealso excellent fishing and produce fine Catfish as well as Large Mouth Bass, Strippers and sunfish if you know where and how to fish them.
    Also the Burea of reclamation is constructing several reservoirs in the area which used to be the Brock Research Ranch it is being planned as a recreational fishing reservour as well as water storage for the coming water transfers expected as the larger areas of So California attempt to make water grabs for Imperial Valleys farming water to support their lawns and golf courses.

11. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    excellent post . . . so where will these water holding ponds be? do you have any idea of their projected size? sounds like i am hitting up sunbeam lake this weekend.

12. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    i was able to locate some additional info on the above referenced reservoirs.

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/yuma/environmental_docs/Drop_2/Drop_2_News_Release.pdf

only thing is, no where in this document can i find any information that says people will be allowed to fish it :(

13. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
  14. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I first read about this last year.
    As I understand it, they will be plastic lined storage reservoirs with no public access.
    Due to the expected water temps they most likely will not be very good for the fish.

15. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    even worse, i just confirmed with from some of the folks at usbr, there will only be water in these reservoirs part of the year; and yes, they will be completely fenced off . . .

i really feel like they are missing the boat on this one. it would be such a good idea to maintain some reservoirs that are usable by the public.

16. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    There's always Senators Wash.

17. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    I'm glad that I'm now 51 and wont be around too awfully much longer. At least I lived in a time when you could do just about anything you wanted to as long as you didnt hurt anyone else. The AAC was all mud bottomed when I started fishing there in the mid 70's. Me and my buddies used to bust the locks off of chained dirt roads that ran next to the canal. The game wardens used to tell us to make sure we hooked the chain back up with the busted lock so that everything looked up to snuff. Too many people,too many laws and too many you cants. If we dont do something about population growth now then our decendents are going to be in a world of shit.Life wont hardly be worth living.As it stands now you cant fart without an OSHA apoproved fart baffle for fear of getting a ticket.