AAAAAGH! Headache! NEW GUN!

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Brandon829, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ok, Since I keep posting questions about guns, I think I"ve narrowed it down to 2. See my wife has given me the ok to get a new gun. Horray for me right, but headache for me as well. I've decided a want a 308. Now here are the 2 that I've narrowed it down to.

Howa Ranchland 308 model #HGR36307DST
    or..............
    Weatherby Vanguard 308 Package

Both guns come with great scopes. I'm just so torn. Does anybody have any experience with these guns or just opinions? I'm pretty much set on 1 of ethier of the 2. Please help!!!!!!!!!

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    DO NOT even hesitate ;get the weatherby.I have been shooting weatherby rifles for 50 years and can give you the highest recommendation on the co.and their service.I used to go to their factory once a year with friends to pick out new rifles or shotguns and always received a Christmas Card from them. Spoke to Roy Weatherby a few times also.Are you sure you want a 308?You didnt say what you were going to use it for.

3. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I'm going to use it for Deer Hunting. I don't think I'll need any shot over 300 yards, but just in case.........

4. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    This just my take on it. I think the newer weatherby's are made in the U.S., the Howa I don't think is. I have two .308s one Ruger and one T/C....both fine weapons and both made right here in the USA.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    WHAT Jim said x 10 :wink:

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The Howa and the Weatherby Vanguard are EXACTLY the same action. The ONLY difference between the actions are the shroud on the bolt for the Vanguard. The Vanguard barreled actions are produced in Japan by Howa, then sent to the U.S. to be stocked, shot, and packaged by Weatherby.

I hate those Hogue Overmolded stocks personally, so I'd opt for the Vanguard. It's also got a bit longer barrel, so you'll get a little better velocity out of the ammo.

That action is a fabulous piece of metal. It is the best factory action made, dollar for dollar. The bolt is a one piece forged unit, the action is a one piece forged unit. The trigger is mounted in a massively strong unit with direct attachement to the reciever. It's very simple and extremely strong. If you're going to bed the action, the front of the reciever is broad and flat, making for a good base to bed. Same with the rear of the action.

The barrels on the Howa's and Vanguards are some of THE best barrels you can get, bar none. Very finely finished and very smooth, with little or no copper fouling. I've had several Vanguards and they all shot extremely well.

Since you're wanting a .308, I can endorse the Weatherby Vanguard Varmint Special with hesitation. It's kind of a hybrid gun... the barrel is a heavier contour than the standard gun, but it's still lighter than a regular heavy barrel/bull barrel gun. The barrel is 22" long and has a muzzle diamter of .735", compared to the common 26" and .800-.850" barrel on most varmint guns. The gun weighs just less than 8lbs, but handles like a sporter gun due the barrel length/weight. It's very accurate to boot. Probably the perfect configuration for my tastes and uses.

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just bought a Marlin XS7 in 308 with a scope package on it. I sighted it in at 100 yards, and was in the 2 inch ring around the bullseye pretty consistently. The longer shots was comparable with my 30.06. In short, I was impressed with the 308. A good solid gun. This package was 356.00 plus tax. Later Andy

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT info, Chris! Reps out to ya!

BB in SC

9. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Howa also made mossberg 1500 S & W 1500 COLT 1500 very good rifle's you might think about a vanguard sub moa a little more but proven shooter.:wink:

10. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    The Sub MOA guns are great they have some nice additions you don't get in the standard Vanguard, barreled action pillar bedded to a Monte Carlo Fiberguard stock. If you have the extra cash the MOA is worth the money. If you are on a budget and buy the package deal, I would go to a gun store that has several in stock and ask to see the factory targets and pick out the best one, most the time the target is zip tide around the trigger guard if not it is in the box. I have sold several of these rifle over the last few years and many of them shoot 1" to 1 1/2" groups. If you buy Premium ammo it will properly shoot better than you need for deer hunting. Only draw back IMO is the stock are cheap but that is how they keep the price down. I think there a great value. Good Luck

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  11. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I thought the Howa and Vanguard had the same Japanese made action but the Vanguard had a Weatherby barrel. I just sold my Vanguard 7 mag to a friend and bought a Remington 700 Boone and Crockett edition 7 mag for a good price. So far the Remington won't shoot with the Vanguard. I don't mean to knock Remington as I really like the 700 and own two and have a department issued sniper rifle that is a 700. I also have another Vanguard in .257 Weatherby Magnum. It is also a tack driver for a hunting rifle. A buddy of mine just bought a Vanguard sub moa in .243 and loves it. In my opinion it is hard to beat the price and out of the box accuracy of a Weatherby Vanguard or a Savage.

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
  13. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Nope, they have the same barrel by Howa. For what it's worth, Weatherby doesn't make any of their own barrels. On the Mark V guns, the barrels are made by Krieger. Mostly their Criterion series. VERY good barrels.

14. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Don't hold too much thought about the factory targets. The guns are shot in a machine rest without a stock to get the targets.

If you upgrade to the MOA series of rifles, those are actually shot at the Weatherby range in Paso Robles, CA. They take the actions that shot groups 1" or less in the machine rest, put stocks on them, and then shoot them at the range to make sure that they'll consistently hold the groups under MOA, with that particular factory load. The standard is 3/4". If the rifle does, then it gets the MOA engraving and premium pricing. Doesn't mean that it'll shoot every load under 1" at 100 yards, it really just means that it's a consistent gun.

15. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here's what I went with. I know it isn't either one of the 2 that I picked, but I didn't want to have to wait for the gun to come in and there was a possibility that it wouldn't even had been here by the 14th which season starts. So.......I bought a Savage Model 11 308 with a 3x9 Simmons scope for $489. It was in stock and ready to go. I'm pretty happy with my purchase. Any comments good or bad is welcome.

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Personally, I've never requested or needed the permission of my Sweetie to buy a firearm...:wink:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You're truly a lucky man!! :wink::smile2:

18. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Brother, you did just fine. Savage is one of THE most accurate and reliable guns you can get. And they don't break the bank.

Here's one that will get me burned out of house and home: I'll take a Savage over anything made by Remington ALL day long. I've probably had 10 different Savage rifles, and every one was a shooter. I can't even come close to saying that about the various Remington 700 rifles I've had. I don't even look at the Remington's when I'm shopping, I've had such bad experiences with them.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  19. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Train'em right, and they'll buy them for you. My wife's bought me several guns over the years, none of them cheap ones. :wink::smile2::cool2:

20. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats good for you, lol, I do!