A Young Boy, And An Ole Man!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 1, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I remember the first days that got me interested. I spent the first years of my life fishing small creeks and streams in grade school with my hometown friends.. It was a ritual Saturday morning that we would ride our bikes to the local bait shop to count change gave by the parents, and buy a couple dozen worms. We would go to the small stream, cast out on bottom with a couple split shots on our lines and throw them live crawlers and talk about the big fish that swam there! Rock bass , small mouth bass and carp were the usual. But, we always knew there were bigger fish beneath!! Well, we caught our share of all the fish over the years and needed to move on... To be honest, I had to get permission to go to the river! The river was always an adult word, and my dad made sure I respected it before I was allowed to go. It was considered a dangerous place! Well, after gaining the trust from him and my mother I was allowed to pursue the catfish from the banks... Me and Nick, the dude in my profile, starting fishing the Muskingum River hard. We fished up and down the local roads along the banks of the river from a mop-head( scooter) By the age of 10 or so, we won our first tournament ever! It was mighty comical. Two of us on a mope head, I usually was the one on back pulling a red flier wagon with my free hand behind that held a cooler for the fish, and tackle for our trip! We fished this way for a few years, often placing in local tournaments and even winning some here and there. Let me say, most guys don't take losing kindly to a couple teenagers on scooters! Well. this is were I learned a ton. I was always facinated by the large cats and wanted to learn why we only caught what we did. Well my uncle is a notorious cat master in the area.. Along with another older guy, and another guy that made himself national for his catting accomplishments.. The most important one thing I learned was this..... Patience! They taught me alot of different things over the years, but whether we had success or not, it all comes back to going and having patience! Of course learning location, presentation, and time of the year is a MUST for flatheads....If you don't have the patience and stay at them, you will never be a great flathead hunter!...... And to end this post I would like to add a quote I made for myself many years ago, pertaining to what I have learned from my elders!!

" The greatest things learned, aren't often documented or wrote down, but those that are simply listened and remembered in the mind!!! goodluck to yall this 2009 year.......rollo

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Great Story, about great deeds... Much appreciated here!!!:wink:

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Good post Jason ....... Garry-

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great story..thanks man!! And I always thought you learned to catch catfish so well from watching Bill Dance tv shows??? :confused2::smile2:

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    RIGHT ON BRO-good post.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Great post(however )you said one key word PATIENCE which I don't have a lot of anymore seems like.Guess I need to work on that huh.Thanks for the great tips..

7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
  8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jason, i would be prone to pay your first entry fee this year if you would ride that moped and pull that red flyer behind ya.:smile2: As always bro., enjoyed the story and tips. jf

9. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    great story rollo sounds like my child hood but never done no tournys or the moped i rode a bicycle

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Great post rollo!! More true words have never been spoken than the quote you included at the end.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    great post rollo brought back fond memorys of my uncle calvin.he gave me my start fishing when i was a small child.he use to take me and my cuzins to watch for game wardens while he noodled.he never weighed more than a 120 lbs.in his whole lifetime but he had pictures of hundreds of giant blues and flatheads and all caught bare handed.thanks for the trip down memory lane.

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    good post jason

13. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rollo the poet....:wink: Nice post, and the scooter, well, icing on the cake:wink:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We actually had a pretty bad accident one time trying to make it back to weigh-in. We were motoring probably 25 miles an hour, when the wagon started whippin from side to side, I had to let go of the handle so it didn't wreck us. Our cooler full of channel cats were thrown all over the road, and skinned up pretty good!:smile2: rollo

15. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
  16. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    you are ready to move to the next step weed hopper...lmao..see ya at the tourneys yes ???:smile2:

17. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Great story Jason. You just took me back years. I so remember those days. Rode all over the river I grew up on, with all my gear, poles, bait bucket, tackle box strapped to my 10 speed.

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's hard to believe that it was that many years ago. I just awoke today to realize its my birthday.....im 30 years old now! Where does the time go? Almost makes ya wanna live back time to them early days and memories.... rollo

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Happy Birthday Jason!!!
    If you think the first 30 went fast just hang around for the next 30..
    Seams as though it was yesterday When we moved from Ohio to Ky... In reality it has been 47 yrs. Time flies when you're having fun so I've been told.

20. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Happy birthday Rollo, and hey, you want to realize how time flies, just sit down with a photo album, I'm only 20, and that gets me every time, not so much the pictures, but the thousand words with each of them.