A Word on American Society's View of the South and Southern People

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by rednecksportsman511, Nov 8, 2006.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Here's a little something I wrote about prejudice against Southerners. I hope y'all appreciate it and learn a little from it.

*Note: I excluded the paragraph concerning the Confederate Flag in the interest of preventing any heated debates on the forum.

Everyone has seen Southerners made fun of and joked about. Most of it is all in good humor, and I can laugh along with it, because I know that those making the jokes truly don't believe what they are saying. I often laugh at myself, as well. I think it is highly important to be able to laugh at yourself. People call us redneck, white trash, inbred, hick. Most of the time, it doesn't bother me, because, as I said, I know they mean no disrespect.

But there are some instances, which we have all encountered, when a Southerner is the victim of insults and accusations of stupidity and barbaric, animal-like tendencies. Many, many people picture a Southerner as a low-income, low-hygiene, unintelligent person of little or no class. These people ridicule and inslult Southerners for being who they are, and never stop to look past society's stereotypcial "redneck" to see for themselves what qualities make up a Southerner. There is no other way to describe this but prejudice.

I do not claim that all Southern people are highly intelligent; I simply scoff the prejudiced notion that the majority of Southern people are incompetent. Are you to tell me that all Northerners or Midwesterners are intelligent? Stupid people exist everywhere.

Americans throughout the nation deride Southerners' sports such as hunting and fishing as barbaric, primitive, and inhumane. While the debate on the humanity of such sports can be discussed another time, people fail to see that Southerners take interest in hunting and fishing primarily as a part of their heritage. The South is abundant in wildlife, and generations of Southerners have hunted and fished this rich land. Hunting and fishing boils down to enjoying nature and its solitude, simple pleasures of life. This is another misunderstanding of Southern people; people assume that since Southerners love simple things in life, they have no taste for class and are simple-minded. This could not be more false.

Being able to enjoy the simple delectations in life allows you to enjoy life much more, and lets you see what many people take for granted. Many Americans think Southerners have no class, yet another example of prejudice-born stereotypes. Having class means different things to different people. To some, to those who view Southerners as having no class, class is thing of high society; fancy cars, expensive dining, and cultured tastes. But to Southerners, class is being polite and hospitable, even to your enemies. Class is knowing who you are, and respecting others.

Redneck is a word of many meanings. Like class, it can mean different things to different people. The best definition of redneck I have heard is simply being happy with what God has given you in life. It doesn't mean you live in a trailor park or have a mullet; it means you find pleasure in the simple aspects of life, you are happy with who you are, your heritage, and what life has alotted you. You make the best of what you've been given. Redneck isn't limited to Southern, low-income, rural areas. Anyone can be a redneck, a doctor, a CEO, the president, even you.

Ignorance breeds prejudice. Don't make presumptions based on the outwardness of a Southerner.

Next time you encounter a situation where Southerners or the South in general is being spoken poorly of, take a minute and evaluate your knowledge and personal experience of Southerners and the wonderful hospitality of the South and use reason instead of making prejudiced assumptions based on a stereotypical image.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I couldn't agree more Brother!!!

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I agree with you 100% on that.

4. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most people that are called rednecks, hillbilly's, country folk, southerners etc, are the ones that will be able to survive when times get tough. Plus they seem to have very good moral values. So when some one says something to this affect, I will usually say thanks and God Bless. Very good post brother.

5. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    "well posted!" from an Ohio redneck . . .

6. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    i really like what you said about hunting and fishing. when move from south louisiana to dallas. and people ask me what i like to do in my spare time and i say fishing they look at me like im crazy. just cuz the anwser wasnt the movies or going to a club. Not say that i dont go to movies or clubs. but wouldnt you rather catch a 30+ blue

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Great article and view on things. From another Ohio redneck.

8. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    That fits us in WV perfectly. Good post.

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Well said John, You would be surprised at the number of New Yorkers up here in the mtns. that consider themselves Rednecks, and we are proud of it!!:big_smile:

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Quote: "Redneck is a word of many meanings. Like class, it can mean different things to different people. The best definition of redneck I have heard is simply being happy with what God has given you in life. It doesn't mean you live in a trailor park or have a mullet; it means you find pleasure in the simple aspects of life, you are happy with who you are, your heritage, and what life has alotted you. You make the best of what you've been given. Redneck isn't limited to Southern, low-income, rural areas. Anyone can be a redneck, a doctor, a CEO, the president, even you."

Although I agree with you, most people would not be able to understand your definition above.
    Most people use "Redneck as an insult and I have always felt that "Redneck", when used in it's most insulting and derogatory way, refers to a state of mind rather than a way of life and if you use that as your definition I have met many more wealthy and influential people who are "Rednecks" than I have met good old country people who deserve such an insult...W

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Gosh, I live decidedly north of the Mason Dixon line and I have a lot of business friends that are weekend warriors and enjoy the bounty of the out of doors. I didn't realize that sportsmen were limited by geography. Heck here in Ohio we have white trash, hicks, rednecks, hilljacks,, etc... but we are not the south.

I have always seen the south as vestiges of Terra. I see a proud heritage of culture. I see the hospitality of Charleston over the somewhat less so in say Connecticut, New York or Boston. If you get through their shell they are not much different though. I have always heard that though Southerners are hospitable, they do initially treat "Yankees" differently. I have not had that problem personally, but then I am a salesman and get along with folks everywhere (except High Intensity :tounge_out: )

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    good readible post john , long live the south brother

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    It is easy to look down on folks when a person gives them a demonised name.

I dont care wether it is redneck, white trash, honkey, nazi, or Deigo. names are names because they are intended to take the human aspect out of the equation, because the person giving the name doesnt respect the humanity of another.

I dont share your heritage.... but then again, you dont share mine. I dont know what you want to be called, but all I want to be called by is my name.

We all want food, shelter, happiness, water, and family. You cannot deny that to a man... but you can deny it to a "lesser person".... which is where all these monickers come from.

I dont think I prescribe to the "yankee Versus Southerner" imposed hierarchy. Im just a guy who likes to fish and eat and occasionally eat fish. If you arent much different then what does it matter where you are from?

I am not northern and proud... Im just a guy

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Replace Southerner with Northerner and Redneck with Hill jack and it will fit just as well. Substitute any other derogatory epithet and region. This article as a whole describes how we as humans feel about ourselves and how we treat others. I was just watching a Scifi flick last night and this Alian had the nerve to call us rat brained humans. It fits sometimes don't it! lol :eek:oooh: :crazy: :lol: :big_smile:

15. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    American by birth, Southern by the grace of God:smile2:

16. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Good post! I lived in New England for a year. My girlfriend at the time had someone over who immediately decided that since I was a Southern male, I was dumb, lazy and illiterate. It didn't take too long in the discussion that followed to demostrate that not only was I not dumb or lazy but that I was the only one in the room with a college degree. Her friend never did come around and admit that she might have been wrong.

I agree that we need to look at the person rather than where they are from but after being on the receiving end of years worth of insults and propaganda, it takes a while to get beyond all that "stuff" and I have to admit that while I try to be pleasant and kind to everyone I meet, I tend to avoid "Yankees" until I get to know them better. I have been very pleasantly surprised at the way everyone seems to get along here, except on the HI threads of course.:lol:

17. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good post..thanks for sharing.

18. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I have been all over this country and have learned when someone calls me a redneck I usually say thanks for noticing and smile

19. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL

Most of what I said could apply to people of any area of the U.S. I was simply drawing on my experiences of how people view the South. That's all I can discuss seeing as how I don't have any knowledge of other regions. Thanks for the comments, it's appreciated.